+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Matching Color Proofs

Donor mrhooper is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Matching Color Proofs

We do the Prepress for a number of magazines that are printed at a large (unnamed) printer. In the past we have taken their press profiles and using Profilemaker, we compare our profile to theirs and create a new custom profile so that we can match their proofs/Press. The problem we are having is that this has not been done in some time as they claim that they "do not use custom profiles" only the default swop profiles that come in Creative Suite. To me this sounds like total BS. Does anyone have any experience in a situation like this? I am asking for their Proofer profile, which i dont think is unreasonable. Should I be asking for something else?

Any input would be appreciated

Donor eflatun is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhooper View Post
    We do the Prepress for a number of magazines that are printed at a large (unnamed) printer. In the past we have taken their press profiles and using Profilemaker, we compare our profile to theirs and create a new custom profile so that we can match their proofs/Press. The problem we are having is that this has not been done in some time as they claim that they "do not use custom profiles" only the default swop profiles that come in Creative Suite. To me this sounds like total BS. Does anyone have any experience in a situation like this? I am asking for their Proofer profile, which i dont think is unreasonable. Should I be asking for something else?

Hello mrhooper,
    In this case two possibility for me. First your customer's large printer is adjusted to simulate SWOP conditions properly. So process profile works. Second he is totaly unaware about color management.

Moderator super silja will become famous soon enough super silja's Avatar
    Thanks

PSO and G7

This is purpose of standardization.
    You make proof with SWOP or ECI profiles and all printing company all of the world can print more or less in tolerance, your adds/artwork/brochure.
    Congratulation to your printing partner!
    +-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-+
    |p|o|w|e|r| |t|o| |b|e| |y|o|u|r| |b|e|s|t|
    +-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-+

PRC Member ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard's Avatar
    Thanks

hi mrhooper,

I supporse the printing house has the requirements for proofs. So, with a press/destination profile (swop?) all you need is to make a proof in accordance with the requirements.
    Not sure if you need proofer profile even if your target is to make the proof as close as possible to the proof made in the printing house. In this case I would suggest to tune your proofer to the results of the printing house proofer using the measurements of the target printed on their proofer. In the case of EFI ColorProof these measurements should be used as additional measurements at the stage of workflow optimization... this should be enough to make a remote proof as close to the printing house proof as possible.
    The same has been done in the company I work in. The goal was to achieve maximum agreement between three proofers based on EPSON printers and EFI papers.
    IMHO, in the case of remote proofing is quite enough to use the same press profile, for example any swop profile, with a bit tougher requirements than ISO 12647-7.
    Cheers,
    CW

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eflatun View Post
    Hello mrhooper,
    In this case two possibility for me. First your customer's large printer is adjusted to simulate SWOP conditions properly. So process profile works. Second he is totaly unaware about color management.
    I believe they know about color management, they just do not want to share with me. I believe the ulterior motive is for them to be doing the prepress work, so whatever they can do to make us look bad they will do. Which will ultimately backfire on them because regardless of the proofs, the final color is their responsibility and if my customer is unhappy, i will suggest another printer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ColorWizard View Post
    hi mrhooper,

I supporse the printing house has the requirements for proofs. So, with a press/destination profile (swop?) all you need is to make a proof in accordance with the requirements.
    Not sure if you need proofer profile even if your target is to make the proof as close as possible to the proof made in the printing house. In this case I would suggest to tune your proofer to the results of the printing house proofer using the measurements of the target printed on their proofer. In the case of EFI ColorProof these measurements should be used as additional measurements at the stage of workflow optimization... this should be enough to make a remote proof as close to the printing house proof as possible.
    The same has been done in the company I work in. The goal was to achieve maximum agreement between three proofers based on EPSON printers and EFI papers.
    IMHO, in the case of remote proofing is quite enough to use the same press profile, for example any swop profile, with a bit tougher requirements than ISO 12647-7.
    Thanks for the response...
    I am going ahead without any more conversations with the printer. They did supply a target proof that I will read in and profile here with our Epson 9800. I thought it would be easier in Profilemaker to have their profile to compare. That is how we did it in the past. Do you recommend using the EFI Paper? We use epson paper and EFI ColorProof XL. Hasn't been a problem for our own presses.

PRC Member ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Do you recommend using the EFI Paper? We use epson paper and EFI ColorProof XL. Hasn't been a problem for our own presses.
    For daily tasks, we use both EPSON and EFI papers.
    I suppose you are using fogra certified Epson Standard Proofing Paper. So, if you are satisfied with the results, I think, no need to change epson paper. It's not a bad choice for emulating most of the sheetfed and web offset processes.
    In general, proofing paper should be as close as possible to the real offset paper and at the same time allows you to achieve results with desired accuracy.
    Cheers,
    CW

Junior Member Luca is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I believe they know about color management, they just do not want to share with me.
    You'd be shocked at how many large printers don't know or care about colour management. I'd be surprised if there's any scheming going on at all. A lot of the time these guys have someone come in and set up a system for proofing but they don't know what is going on beyond the exact steps the contractor showed them. They probably are using a custom profile but have no idea what or where it is.

Junior Member higherflyer is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    we use epson paper with efi as well no problems here.

+ Reply to Thread