Thread: Matching 2 printers together

Junior Member kassinopious is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Matching 2 printers together

Hi all,

We have 2 printers of almost identical nature:

1x Inca Spyder 320 (CMYK)
    1x Inca Spyder V (CMYKlclm)

Whats the best way to go about profiling the 6 colour machine to match the 4 colour machine?

At the moment if I print the same job on both printers i get 2 different resuts. Each printer has its own ICC for the substrate we are printing on but the 6col by definition gives better results, gradations and colours than the 4col press. Is there a way that i can set up a second ICC for each substrate that "dumbs down" the print to match the 4col press?

Any ideas much appreciated.

Also, I'm currently borrowing profilemaker 5 from my ink supplier but i have to give it back in a week, is there any reasonably priced software out there that can create icc profiles whilst i try to sell a few prints in order to afford the $4k for an i1Profiler dongle?

Best,
    Kassinopious

Donor TPJozsef is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Just as a disclaimer: I only know some of the theory part because I didn't have time to test it out with my printers.

If you visualize the gamut on a Lab representation each machine (printer) and substrate has a different gamut size and extension.
    If you make appropriate profiles on each printer for the substrate you should be able to print the smallest common gamut perfectly.
    Theoretically the 6 color printer should have a bigger gamut but this may depend also on the substrate.

I would do it this way:
    1. calibrate monitor(s)
    2. profile both printers according to substrate
    3*. combine the profiles so it contains only the common colors
    4. modify (shrink) the picture gamut -according to the result in step 3- so that you can print the picture as absolute colorimetric

*step 3 may not be possible - I didn't quite get the purpose and usage of device link profiles yet sorry.

Hope this helps or at least gives some ideas.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanks for the speedy response.

I have d steps 1 and 2 in order to get each printer off the ground.

It's steps 3 and 4 i'm struggling with. What software can be used to perform these steps? It must be possible, the process is the same as setting up a high gamut proofing printer to match a production machine.

Any had experience doing this in the past?

Donor TPJozsef is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Sorry, but that's as much as I can do for you now.
    Tested the device linking function in Argyll only so I don't have much experience with linking.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TPJozsef For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    No probs thanks for your help - I'll have a look in profilemaker tomorrow see if i can make any more sense of it.

Banned xhack is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Hi.

I have 2() columbia turbo, they are the same machines and inks.. so its easier to manage (but is 4 years older than the other..).

My advise.
    (assuming the inks are the same except for de lights)
    If you want the most perfect match between the printers, has you said.. you have to downgrade do 6 color to a 4 color .
    To achive this it might depend on the RIP software, i have Wasatch for the Incas and since they are both CMYK dont know how do do it with this software.

The following is better applied after you "downgrade" the six color printer to four color, if you can... you can use the principle without downgrading, but.. i'm assuming the inks are exactly the same.
    This is mor or less generic.. in can help you further you need..

1st - Print solid blocks (100%) of CMYK, and get them to have as close as possible the same density. On the Inca i do this printing without any colour corrections and adjusting the density using the heads voltage.

2nd- After you get the closest match, linearize the printers, this way you get this.
    @100% (you matched the ink density)
    at the rest of the scale the linearization corrects the density and like this.. you have the same density/color on both machines.

3rd- Do a color profile on of the machines (after linearization) and apply de "same" profile on both machines...

This does the trick on my printers... they are not exactly the same... because is older and has a more grainy look.. but that is something i can't fix.

If the above proves to be dificult to you, try at least to start with de closest macth in 100% ink density before calibration.
    The light colors don't give you a larger gamut (in principle...), what they are intended to do is minimize the "grain" on lighter shades, making the same optical resolution looking better on a CMYKcm device.

+ Reply to Thread