+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Inkjet printer for Production Printing

PRC Member johnlongthomas is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Inkjet printer for Production Printing

We run Epson 9700 and 7700 printers as production printers printing onto standard lithographic papers of all kinds. We use coated papers - mat art, gloss art, chromalux etc and uncoated stocks like 2 sheet board and brite white laser papers. For inks we are using a sepiax type nano resin coated pigment ink. Our aim is to print at a lower cost than using laser/led type printers. No drums, transfer belts and fusers.

The whole idea started when we tried out an epson 7700 to make films. We figured out we might be able to replace our imagesetters in this way. We aquired a studiorip to this end. That was a dead loss. An A1 film at 133# was taking over an hour to make and the flat tints were suspect compared to what was comming off the ecrm's. We did manage densities of over 3. And there were issues with the inkjet film sticking to photopolymer on flexo jobs after exposure. So we switched to prints. We immediately figured that using genuine epson inks and special inkjet media would not be a winner.

The pricing we are able to offer has attracted a lot of work and the machines work a solid 8 -10 hours a day. Backing up (perfecting) is really easy with these machines.

So far we get our colour settings by basing them on standard epson profiles and turning the colour management off and then doing some very basic linearization. The results are ok, but could be better.

We have long experience with Harlequin rips, but the only plugins for the 7700 are for film making and the plugins for epson 7900 are no good because there are too many inks.

The Studiorip looks not suitable for a production environment like ours, or maybe we don't know how to use it well.

We do have a dtp41 stip reader

Any ideas on a rip that talks directly to the epson - not through the rgb based driver - and where we can assign the various ink channels as we see fit and that can talk to the dtp41 would be appreciated

Donor fafnir2k is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Onyx can help

Hello,
    at the most "real" RIPs (Onyx e.g.) with their own Drivers,
    you can control which channel are used.

In Postershop, create a Profile with only the "K" channel. Linearieze and your done.

Hope that help

Fafnir2k

Junior Member nacito1234 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    You can use Onyx production house x10. Your printers are supported. just download patch download drivers and start printing

Moderator Aaron125 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    EFI Colorproof XF 4.5.1 should do exactly what you requre. I'm pretty sure it supports the Epson x700 printers.

Junior Member pinoy969 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

EFI Colorproof XF 4.5

I have the EFI Colorproof 4.5 and I just cant make it to run on my XP computer. I already followed the intruction.

Junior Member h133 will become famous soon enough h133 will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlongthomas View Post
    We run Epson 9700 and 7700 printers as production printers printing onto standard lithographic papers of all kinds. We use coated papers - mat art, gloss art, chromalux etc and uncoated stocks like 2 sheet board and brite white laser papers. For inks we are using a sepiax type nano resin coated pigment ink. Our aim is to print at a lower cost than using laser/led type printers. No drums, transfer belts and fusers.
    Just curious, are you saying you use these large format inkjet printers to produce short run printed work, i.e. flyers and such? Rather than a tr based machine like a Xerox DC242 or an Oki/Xante printer?.

If so I would be very interest to hear what your cost savings are, and how viable the production run lengths are in terms of turn around times.

Might be something worth checking out to replace my Oki's

Junior Member borgwarrior is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    We have an Epson 7800pro, and I'm thinking of starting to use it again after 2-3 years for proofing. Are there any simple ways to recalibrate it? I can't access the PRC yet, so I don't have Colorproof XF yet..

+ Reply to Thread