+ Reply to Thread

Thread: icc profiles for hp5500uv

cryptkeeper

icc profiles for hp5500uv

I just got onyx 10, is the icc profiles that I got from their site the only ones I need? is there another place to get icc profiles from another site?

Donor bortbox is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Profiles are media specific. If you are using the exact same papers that are associated with the profiles installed by Onyx, then you are good to go.

Otherwise, there is the possibility that the vendor / manufacturer of the paper provides profiles for Onyx, but that is most likely not the case. Most ICC profiles provided by vendors are generic and will not work with the Onyx platform. You would need to create them yourself.

-bortbox

cryptkeeper
    Quote Originally Posted by bortbox View Post
    Profiles are media specific. If you are using the exact same papers that are associated with the profiles installed by Onyx, then you are good to go.

Otherwise, there is the possibility that the vendor / manufacturer of the paper provides profiles for Onyx, but that is most likely not the case. Most ICC profiles provided by vendors are generic and will not work with the Onyx platform. You would need to create them yourself.

-bortbox
    ooph, whats the proper way to create icc profiles?

I'm just guessign here, but I assume it's something like:

1) print sample sheet
    2) scan sample sheet
    3) import into color correction software

is that the gist, or is it more complex than that?

Donor bortbox is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Well,

That is sort of the idea, but things have now been complicated by the use of Onyx.

There are at LEAST two steps you must consider when color managing a printer:

1) You must calibrate your machine. This is also referred to as linearization. This process puts your machine in a known state. The profiling helps correct for the interaction between the ink and the paper, but that is no good if the printer is placing different amounts of ink on the paper from one day to the next.
    2) After calibrating / linearizing, you then want to profile. As stated before, this gives you a model of how the ink behaves with a particular paper.

Now, some printers do not to be calibrated very often because their behavior is pretty stable day to day. For instance, Epson printers which use peizo-electric print heads tend to be quite stable over time. HP printers which use thermo-electric printheads can have a difference that measures Delta E of 12 or greater in as little as 30 days. I like HPs for a number of reasons, so calibrating every couple of weeks does not bother me.

Your HP 5500 has a densitometer on board, and can calibrate itself (using front panel options). However this is only good if you are using the standard HP drivers. Depending on your Onyx configuration, the RIP itself might not (and probably won’t) use any of the machine’s calibration data and therefore the calibration / linearization process must take place within the Onyx software. This will require an external spectro as Onyx cannot use the internal meter in the HP 5500.

Additionally, you would not need or want to use any third party software for Onyx as it contains everything needed to calibrate and profile.

So your workflow would look like this (all within the Onyx software):
    1) Set your ink limits
    2) Calibrate / linearize your paper / printer
    3) Build profiles
    4) Every 2 weeks – 1 month repeat step 2

All of this is done using a spectro (for the most part).

Onyx is not necessary for a color managed workflow, and if you are new to color management, I would HIGHLY recommend picking up a good profiling package, use HP’s internal calibration methods, and print from any ICC aware application via the print drivers.

Oh, as a quick reminder, the calibration data is also stock specific.

-bortbox

+ Reply to Thread