+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: icc profiler software

Junior Member phongshader is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

icc profiler software

I'm a total noob and not a pro. I just bought a used epson stylus pro 9500 and want to print fine art /photographs. After running some prints through I can see the color is shifted. I'm not using epson inks. After searching around I found SilverFast ICC which looked like a good solution, don't need any equipment other than a scanner and a printer.
    Are there other icc profilersthat don't require any special equipment for a beginner/ amateur?

mmp
    Junior Member mmp is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phongshader View Post
    I'm a total noob and not a pro. I just bought a used epson stylus pro 9500 and want to print fine art /photographs. After running some prints through I can see the color is shifted. I'm not using epson inks. After searching around I found SilverFast ICC which looked like a good solution, don't need any equipment other than a scanner and a printer.
    Are there other icc profilersthat don't require any special equipment for a beginner/ amateur?
    Hi, lucky you that have a pro 9500 as beginner/amateur...
    I don't think that use non epson inks is a good idea on a printer like the 9500.
    To avoid color shift you must profile your printer (one profile for every paper you use) you must obviously, first of all, calibrate your monitor.
    You can't make good profile without an instrument (print a chart and scannerize it take you in the problem of a good scanner profile...).
    I think that the cheaper one (and good) may be spyder3 print studio or colormunky.
    I'm using an xrite i1pro that is better, but much more expensive!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mmp View Post
    Hi, lucky you that have a pro 9500 as beginner/amateur... :
    Yeah the price was right, the replacement ink cost almost as much as the printer, if I had bought Epson ink it would have 2x the cost of the printer.
    Thanks for the info, I'll check them out. What do you think about this
    http://light-flare.com/profiles/
    Does this look like a legit way to create profiles? Is the cost inline with the service?

Donor neon is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    even if you use compatible inks, you must choose a good solution to make reliable profiles and i recommend at least a colormunki variant.

Donor delfinr5 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phongshader View Post

As the name suggests is a professional product Epson Stylus Pro, when he sold was worth about 4.000 €, not suitable for novices and beginners. Imageprint is indicated for what you want to do, but it costs so much as the plotter. They are professional solutions.
    Greetings

Junior Member cmyk is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Custom ICC profile

Using custom papers, different inks, unique workflow and due to variability in inkjet heads, a custom ICC profile for each set-up yields the best results. Yes, there are folks who will make profiles for you for $20 to $100 and this is a good way to get started. It is much handier to make your own profiles. With the classic reliable (http://dtp41.blogspot.com/) DTP41 Spectrophotometer now selling used on eBay for less than $200, why not?

re maintenance- The Epson 9000 series is now over 10 years old and Epson no longer sells many maintenance parts for them. Since you are on an amateur's budget, professional service is over budget, but not to worry, the maintenance manuals are available and you can learn to do most of the work yourself. Parts do show up on eBay and some are available from China.

Thanks
    I'm well aware of the professional status of the printer, that being said does that mean I shouldn't even bother? I don't think so. I have found spare parts and have bought new dampers, print heads, and pump assembly as spares. I also realize that this endeavor is going to cost $s, I'm just trying to find the best bang for the buck.
    DTP41 Spectrophotometer now selling used on eBay for less than $200, why not?
    That I'm willing to spend
    Thanks for the info.

Thanks
    re buying a used DTP41 spectrophotometer, look for the units which include the set of (X-rite proprietary) communication cables and calibration card, otherwise X-rite still sells these cards for $50.

Thanks
    I don't think that a used spectro is a good idea. After all it's supposed to be a precision intrument. Also it runs with old software, not a future proof investment. Don't forget that a good instrument will be useful years to come, long after your epson will die.

Thanks
    neon

I don't think that a used spectro is a good idea. After all it's supposed to be a precision intrument. Also it runs with old software, not a future proof investment. Don't forget that a good instrument will be useful years to come, long after your epson will die.
    Interesting question. I'd guess it depends some on the condition of the gear. The DTP41 is a precision instrument, capable of making more accurate spectral measurements than a new iOne or ColorMunki. The DTP41 is an industry standard, still supported by most profiling software. If it isn't directly supported by your software, then download and use Xrite's free ColorPort utility link: https://xrite.co.uk/product_overview.aspx?ID=719&Action=support&Softwa reID=1032 to get the data and then import into your profile building software.

Yes, the DTP41s are 5 to 12+ year old technology, but the visible spectrum they measure won't change in the future. Could there be something in the DTP41 that might wear out? It doesn't really matter, after I have made at least 4 or 5 good profiles then that eBay purchase has paid for itself, as it would cost more than that to have some custom profiles make by a service. Profiles after that cost only my time. It is also more convenient to have the equipment here, etc.

Do you need to worry about the spectro getting out of calibration? The spectros I've used either pass or fail the calibration test, then make good profiles, or not. Problems in the profiles have been due to an input or user error on my part. I've found the DTP41 much faster and less error prone than the manually operated iOne.

The manufacturer's warranty for any spectrometer is never longer than a year, after that it will cost $500+ for X-rite to service any spectro.

So, for non pro photographers and artists with a limited budget for equipment and some time to explore and set-up used gear, getting a used DTP41 or Spectrolino can make sense.

11. Your ad here

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
    Interesting question. I'd guess it depends some on the condition of the gear. The DTP41 is a precision instrument, capable of making more accurate spectral measurements than a new iOne or ColorMunki. The DTP41 is an industry standard, still supported by most profiling software. If it isn't directly supported by your software, then download and use Xrite's free ColorPort utility link: https://xrite.co.uk/product_overview.aspx?ID=719&Action=support&Softwa reID=1032 to get the data and then import into your profile building software.

Yes, the DTP41s are 5 to 12+ year old technology, but the visible spectrum they measure won't change in the future. Could there be something in the DTP41 that might wear out? It doesn't really matter, after I have made at least 4 or 5 good profiles then that eBay purchase has paid for itself, as it would cost more than that to have some custom profiles make by a service. Profiles after that cost only my time. It is also more convenient to have the equipment here, etc.

Do you need to worry about the spectro getting out of calibration? The spectros I've used either pass or fail the calibration test, then make good profiles, or not. Problems in the profiles have been due to an input or user error on my part. I've found the DTP41 much faster and less error prone than the manually operated iOne.

The manufacturer's warranty for any spectrometer is never longer than a year, after that it will cost $500+ for X-rite to service any spectro.

So, for non pro photographers and artists with a limited budget for equipment and some time to explore and set-up used gear, getting a used DTP41 or Spectrolino can make sense.
    Ok, but the idea was that the user is not a pro. So it needs to get a solution that can deliver decent rezults easy and simple. So no measurements in one software, calculations in another & so on. And that solution it should work without a hitch on any old or new computer with any os. I know exactly how it is the workflow you suggested because i use one. And it's not for a noob.

Thanks
    Neon, Ok, your point makes sense. I was thinking that we were all noobs or newbies once. In my newbie days I started with a DTP41, then used the iOne, now use a DTP41/T. It did take me longer to learn the DTP41 and get usable profiles.

So, the best spectro choice also depends on one's technical aptitude. If you have a tolerance for setting up serial port communication and possibly data format conversion, then consider a used DTP41. Otherwise, it's an iOne or Colormunki.

Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I got my hands on a dtp34 for free but it has no calibration card and it appears that x-rite no longer sells them, or at least I couldn't find one listed. Any idea where I could find one? I'm also trying to track down a dtp41 on your reccomendation. I'm pretty technichally savy on a computer so I'm not intimidated by the setup involved, and I actually enjoy the challenge.
    Thanks again

Thanks
    Haven't heard of the DTP34, but I see that is a densitometer, which is used for measuring densities, not making color spectral measurements. The box may look like a DTP41, but it's not. Sometimes, that's the way it goes with free hardware.... You need a spectrophotometer, such as the DTP41, Spectrolino, iOne or Colormunki. Keep looking, they are out there.

Thanks
    I just picked up a DTP41B off ebay, should have it here in a couple of days. Can you tell me what the difference between a DTP41 and a DTP41B is?
    Thanks again for the help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast