+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: i1Pro 2

Donor dakidb is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron125 View Post
    What exactly do you mean by a 'sublimation profile'? As long as you can read the patches into the i1/software, you can make a profile for any material or substrate you can print on, really doesn't matter what the ink or substrate are made from, just as long as the device can physically read the patches.

As for the maximum thickness, well again, there is no max because as long as you can read the patches with the i1, it will be able to do it's job properly. It wouldn't matter if you're scanning patches from a piece of newsprint or even tissue paper or if you were scanning patches from bricks or tiles or wood slabs. I'm giving some rather extreme examples, but my point is that the device is extremely versatile and all it really depends on in the end, is whether or not the individual colour patches from the profile target can be read by the i1 device and sent to the computer to be processed by whatever software you choose.

Hope that helps, if not, please explain in better detail exactly what it is you're trying to do and we'll go from there.
    Hi Arron, that's pretty good answer and it makes sense. I'm trying to jutify the costs I received from Barbarie LFP3 system (from memory) which was like probably 4 times the amount of i1 pro 2. From which I can understand the difference was automation, and it was suppose to be far supperior software. So my goal is to find out if i1 pro will be do same fuctions of creating ICC profiles for me for fraction of the price.
    I'd be interested to hear your opinion.
    CHeers,
    daki

aaron125
    There really isn't much justification for the prices of the Barbieri spectros, you definitely do pay a premium just for the name though. But also, anyone's fully automated spectros are gonna cost an absolute fortune, the X-Rite Isis certainly ain't cheap, for example.

I don't know the specifics of the LFP3 you mention but I do know that Barbieri has some strange/different ideas on how to do things, such as their Swing spectros and a few others concepts of theirs.

As for the software though, I would actually say their's is quite old and definitely, absolutely there's no way their software or anyone's software could be "far superior to anyone else's as they'd have basically the whole market if it were.

Any company which comes up with some fancy, special software which does something either far better/easier/quicker/higher quality/etc than another company or the rest of the market, the other companies in the market are all going to have the same kind of technology very soon because if they don't, they will lose huge amounts of sales and revenue. There's not all that much crazy, fringe new stuff going on in the SW or HW research concerning spectros and profiling in general, so rest assured, whatever you can possibly do with one brand of HW/SW, you can almost 100% of the time, easily do with virtually any other brand on the market. It's just how the world works, there aren't any cars, computers, TVs, HiFis, etc on the market that do something so spectacularily well that no other company in the world is able to do similar, all the scientists and engineers study the same things when learning how to design and construct our toys and unless they're a 1-in-a-billion genius, we all seem to have the same ideas around the world at the same general time.

I can tell you now, that if you have to try to justify to yourself why you should spend SO much more on an automated system, you won't be able to justify it. If you could, you already would have and wouldn't be looking at the i1. I would very highly suggest to get the i1Pro2 and go from there as you can always convert it into a fully automated system by just purchasing an i1io or i1io2 robotic arm. Then you have the best of all worlds as you will still be able to take spot readings, screen measurements, ambient light, etc. as well as having a very fast and fully automated system at still far below the cost of either an Isis or any Barbieri automated spectro.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to aaron125 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    There really isn't much justification for the prices of the Barbieri spectros, you definitely do pay a premium just for the name though. But also, anyone's fully automated spectros are gonna cost an absolute fortune, the X-Rite Isis certainly ain't cheap, for example.

I don't know the specifics of the LFP3 you mention but I do know that Barbieri has some strange/different ideas on how to do things, such as their Swing spectros and a few others concepts of theirs.

As for the software though, I would actually say their's is quite old and definitely, absolutely there's no way their software or anyone's software could be "far superior to anyone else's as they'd have basically the whole market if it were.

Any company which comes up with some fancy, special software which does something either far better/easier/quicker/higher quality/etc than another company or the rest of the market, the other companies in the market are all going to have the same kind of technology very soon because if they don't, they will lose huge amounts of sales and revenue. There's not all that much crazy, fringe new stuff going on in the SW or HW research concerning spectros and profiling in general, so rest assured, whatever you can possibly do with one brand of HW/SW, you can almost 100% of the time, easily do with virtually any other brand on the market. It's just how the world works, there aren't any cars, computers, TVs, HiFis, etc on the market that do something so spectacularily well that no other company in the world is able to do similar, all the scientists and engineers study the same things when learning how to design and construct our toys and unless they're a 1-in-a-billion genius, we all seem to have the same ideas around the world at the same general time.

I can tell you now, that if you have to try to justify to yourself why you should spend SO much more on an automated system, you won't be able to justify it. If you could, you already would have and wouldn't be looking at the i1. I would very highly suggest to get the i1Pro2 and go from there as you can always convert it into a fully automated system by just purchasing an i1io or i1io2 robotic arm. Then you have the best of all worlds as you will still be able to take spot readings, screen measurements, ambient light, etc. as well as having a very fast and fully automated system at still far below the cost of either an Isis or any Barbieri automated spectro.
    I appreciate your answer, and completely agree with you. I think I will go with i1 Publish Pro 2 and see if I have any luck optimising the results.

Where would be the best place to buy one of these? I think last itme I was looking at colorhq had pretty good prices.

Cheers,
    daki

pir8mack
    Nice looking bit of kit, makes my spyder print look weak

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pir8mack View Post
    Nice looking bit of kit, makes my spyder print look weak
    What are u profiling with your system?

pir8mack
    Quote Originally Posted by dakidb View Post
    What are u profiling with your system?
    Inktec sublimation inks in a desktop printer, have to say the spyder is bang on for my basic needs, and the patch limit is just down to the software that datacolor supply.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pir8mack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Inktec sublimation inks in a desktop printer, have to say the spyder is bang on for my basic needs, and the patch limit is just down to the software that datacolor supply.
    Sounds good mate. Thanks for that!

aaron125
    Just wondering if you've tried any other profiling systems, specifically those which use anm actual spectrophotometer, not a colorimeter such as the Spyder? Only reason I ask is that if you haven't tried using even a basic spectro for your patch measurements, even something like a ColorMukni or i1, how do you know that the Spyder really is up to your needs?

Do you get an accurate screen to print match and not have to do any trial prints to get your images looking the way you saw them on the screen?

Also, I don't know of any software profling apps which support the Spyder for making printer profiles, except, of course, the software supplied with the Spyder. You mention the patch count is due to the DataColor supplied software - well, no other software supports this instrument, so there's nothing which can be done about the patch count unless you can figure out how to hack the Spyder software to allow more patches.

If I'm mistaken about the software, and there are some other companies making apps which support the Spyder for printer profiles, please enlighten me, I'm interested to know who else has chosen to support the Spyder.

I'm just trying to warn Daki that it would not be a wise idea to purchase the Spyder system as it is essentially not upgradeable at all, cannot be used with Pro-level software and really isn't all that accurate when it comes to making patch measurements. Best bet is definitely the i1Pro2 for you, Daki.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to aaron125 For This Useful Post:

pir8mack
    I just use the software provided with the spyder, but the i1Pro1 or i1Pro2 would be a better bit of kit as its supported by third partys.

Thanks
    Just wondering if you've tried any other profiling systems, specifically those which use anm actual spectrophotometer, not a colorimeter such as the Spyder? Only reason I ask is that if you haven't tried using even a basic spectro for your patch measurements, even something like a ColorMukni or i1, how do you know that the Spyder really is up to your needs?

Do you get an accurate screen to print match and not have to do any trial prints to get your images looking the way you saw them on the screen?

Also, I don't know of any software profling apps which support the Spyder for making printer profiles, except, of course, the software supplied with the Spyder. You mention the patch count is due to the DataColor supplied software - well, no other software supports this instrument, so there's nothing which can be done about the patch count unless you can figure out how to hack the Spyder software to allow more patches.

If I'm mistaken about the software, and there are some other companies making apps which support the Spyder for printer profiles, please enlighten me, I'm interested to know who else has chosen to support the Spyder.

I'm just trying to warn Daki that it would not be a wise idea to purchase the Spyder system as it is essentially not upgradeable at all, cannot be used with Pro-level software and really isn't all that accurate when it comes to making patch measurements. Best bet is definitely the i1Pro2 for you, Daki.
    Hi Arron, thanks for that mate. Yeah I understand that. Eye one seems to be supported by biiger rip softwares such as Onyx, EFI, etc. At the moment I run Production Manger, which I think supports it, but eventually I'd like to move away from it into either EFI or onyx. So i1Pro would be best solution I think.

14. Your ad here

just44k
    Nice looking bit of kit,the price is not cheap

PRC Member lessbones is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    it'll be interesting to see some comparisons once they start rolling in

Junior Member sunmage is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I'll Upgrade my i1 Photo Pro to i1 Photo Pro 2.
    I'm very expectation!

Thanks
    i1 publish pro 2 on it's way :)

Junior Member JoeColor is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I work for an X-Rite dealer and have had my i1Pro2 for about 3 weeks now. All these features are currently only available through the i1Profiler software. You're going to have to wait for the RIP manufactures to catch up. Currently the i1Pro2 is compatible with all software as an i1Pro UVCut only. So if you don't want the UVCut option you might want to wait to upgrade. Other than that, I love the D50 measurement ability. Now my 528/530 and i1Pro2 read the same. Very nice when implementing G7.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast