+ Reply to Thread

Thread: i1Match and basICColor LCD profiling methods

Junior Member EdoNork is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

i1Match and basICColor LCD profiling methods

Hello, new here.

I have been profiling my LCD (DELL 2707WPF) with an i1Display 2 and original software i1Match. During profiling the software ask you to manually adjust the brightness and contrast of the LCD (16% brightness and 78% contrast in my case).

Yesterday, I just tried basICColor Display 5 software, and it tells you to let brightness and contrast at the defauld original values (50% each).

Who is right? Both? Why?

Thank you.

Junior Member greyman is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Setting default contrast at 50% for LCD monitors

Quote Originally Posted by EdoNork View Post
    Hello, new here.

I have been profiling my LCD (DELL 2707WPF) with an i1Display 2 and original software i1Match. During profiling the software ask you to manually adjust the brightness and contrast of the LCD (16% brightness and 78% contrast in my case).

Yesterday, I just tried basICColor Display 5 software, and it tells you to let brightness and contrast at the defauld original values (50% each).

Who is right? Both? Why?

Thank you.

Changing brightness is legal and usually no problem but some values in midrange are preffered for different technical reason (25 - 70%).
    Another case with Contrast slider while most of LCD monitors use internal control algorythm for cutting signal on bright and dark levels - thats why recommendation to fixed contrast slider at default position is right (usually central position 50%)!

By moving contrast-slider you can see "banding" degradation and loss of information on both ends of range in synthetic tests of smooth transitions in special aplications for testing video-signals.

PRC Member ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EdoNork View Post
    Hello, new here.

Who is right? Both? Why?

Thank you.
    Hello EdoNork,

Please, refere to [URL="http://www.marcelpatek.com/LCD.html#BC"]this[/URL] article, to get not a direct answer on your question.

Before monitor calibration I would recommend you to reset contrast to the fatory default value, hence this will avoid unnecessary correction of the monitor gradation characteristics.

The brightness value will depends on the environment and the tasks you are planning to perform. For color correction purposes recomended values may be 100-140 cd/m2 while for softproofing using viewing booths for simultaneous comparison it may rise up to 160 cd/m2 and higher values.

The value of the monitor brightness have to be adjusted using the appropriate OSD menu. The value of the monitor contrast have to be leaved as the factory default.
    Cheers,
    CW

Junior Member Iuri Bernardi is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I'm using both, but i don't have a clear idea about the best .
    suggestion: disable luminance control on MAC.

Junior Member IvanPhan is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I used OptiCAl and PhotoCAl with spider 2 but it is said that it is not support for LCD ( led backlight) so I think 1 of your software maybe not support.

Member ColorProofer is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    If you have monitor worth profiling (Spectraview, Colorgraphic, ...) Basiccolor will all do for you.
    No need to do anything yourself.

+ Reply to Thread