+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to understand if i1Display2 is broken or not...

Member Ale_Paris is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

How to understand if i1Display2 is broken or not...

Hello,

I am wrinting to you because I've been going crazy for days for calibrating my monitors...

To calibrate my MacBook Air 13'' I've always been using my eye- display 2, together with i1ProfilerD2LionVersion, without too many problems.
    I am not an expert so a generic calibration, without being too specific, was perfect for me.

I now bought a Cinema Display 27'' and I wanted to calbrate that monitor as well (I use it together with the MacBook Air so far), so I've connected the monitor to the laptop and I've started calibrating both monitors.

The crazy thing is that, even if I leave all the parameters as usual, at the end of the procedure I end up with profiles (obviously I repeat the process for each monitor) that have a strong greenish tint. Then, if I try to evaluate the quality of the profile with the built-in (in i1ProfilerD2LionVersion) quality test I end up with a medium DeltaE of 5 and a maximum DeltaE of 23! I'm not an expert but I guess it's fairly high!
    I even tried with a different software, dispcalGUI together with Argyll, but I obtain the same results.

I made also a test on my older MacBook Pro, therefore with different OS, screen, software, and I have the same problem.

Is there any test I can perform to see if the machine (sorry I don't know the technical name) that you put on the monitor to perform the calibration is broken?

Thank you very much!

Ale

Donor gnafron is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Problems or not !

[URL="http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=766&Action=support&Softwa reID=506"]i1Diagnostic[/URL]

If you are suspicious about your i1, check it with the xrite software.

Apple LCD screen are beautiful, aren't they?
    They are shiny, colourful, … and wear a wonderful front glass. Easy to clean all these nasty finger print.

But…

This beautiful glass is a mess then you want to use a monitor calibrator
    The glass make reflectance when the i1 make is shoot. It occurs a false value problem and a scary stress about i1.

On imac 'til Mid2012 we used to remove the glass before making calibrate.
    Is it still possible on a Cinema Display? I don't know.

You should try with [URL="http://www.printroot.com/forum/f21/integrated-color-coloreyes-display-pro-1-52-a-224/"]ColorEyes Display Pro[/URL]. You can choose the kind of screen. It will maybe help you having homogeneous result.

Kind regards.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gnafron For This Useful Post:

Junior Member cobhc is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Yeah, you can check the validity of the meter with the X-Rite software. And I can imagine the reflectiveness of the screen makes a difference also.

Thanks
    Hello,

thank you very much for your answers!
    I did not know about iDiagnostic and I've successfully performed the test: positive.
    But, can I trust the result?

I see your point for the Cinema Display but I am having the same issue also on the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro (2006, without the shiny glass cover) and I've never had troubles!

Unfortunately I still can't access the PRC... :-( But thank you anyway for the link!

I don't know what to do next...

Thank you!

Ale

Donor mcjam45 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    The apple cinema display does *not* reflect light during the measurement. Colorimeters don't have a built in illuminant and spectrometers don't use their illuminant for emissive measurements, so there is nothing the glass would reflect.

@Ale_Paris
    I experienced the same green cast with a my i1 Display 2 when it became faulty after some time and also heard from my local dealer that some of his customers were complaining about the same thing. So it's not unlikely that your instrument in fact could be defective.
    An other thing is that event a proper working i1 Display 2 is not really suitable for measuring displays with LED backlight (ACD, Macbook Air). The most obvious consequence of this is usually the measured white point being way off.

If you have the possibility, try to measure a "standard" display (no LED backlight & sRGB-ish gamut) on a Windows system in order to cover all eventualities. If the problem still occurs, I would suggest to get the newer i1 Display Pro, which is also a much better device in terms of accuracy, inter instrument agreement, repeatability and compatibility with current display technologies.
    Last edited by mcjam45; 12-31-2012 at 08:09 AM.

PRC Member toy_down will become famous soon enough
    Thanks

Configurations of i1 proflier

Hello,

I have I1 pro2 too, what configurations are you use? Basic or Advanced?

Remender, if you not configure correctlyi, 1 profiler uses the native's point of your monitor.

If you want better results, use advance method and the same configurattions in your monitors.

Thanks
    Hi toy_down, the TO uses an i1 Display 2 which is a completely different animal.

Banned brian snail is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

i1Display2

After calibrating my Monitor, I check it with the Kodak Professional Color Management Check up kit. To check that the colours are the same as the test prints.
    Allowing for the difference in illumination.

Thanks
    Thank you very much for all your answers!
    I am sorry for my late reply but I've been away a few days...

mcjam45 thank you for letting me know that other customers have experienced the same problem.
    Unfortunately I don't have windows pc handy but I'll try this afternoon on an older Apple Power PC.
    If the problem will still come out I think my device is broken.

I am therefore thinking about buying a new device.
    Thank you for your advice about the i1Pro.

As I wanted also to buy a device to caliber and profile my printers (nothing exceptional but I might use it also paired with some 6-8 colors plotters) would you reccomend something like ColorMunki? If so which version?
    Otherwise, if I need to buy different products (as I guess that to reach a better quality level this is the way to go) which product would you reccomend for calibrating and profiling printers?
    I don't have a huge budget... I am looking at something like 500/600 € total.

Thank you very much!

Ale

Thanks
    Well, if you don't want to spend more than 600€ on the device, i would recommend of the following options:

- used i1 pro v1 revision D with Monaco profiler for RGB printer profiling and basICColor Display for display profiling

- used DTP20. Personally I prefer it to the i1 pro and it also should be cheaper, unfortunately it only can be used for printer profiling, so you will have to buy an other device like the i1 display pro for display profiling, but both devices together still will not exceed your budget.

- maybe also a new colormunki, but there are some limitations. For example, the colormunki is not supported by any other printer profiling or RIP software except for the original software and Argyll CMS. The original software allows to measure only very few patches, but the profiles still can be good enough, depending on your requirements. You can also use Argyll CMS and measure targets with more patches that are intended for the i1 pro, but measuring such small patches is not really comfortable with the colormunki, also it takes some time to learn this (command-line based) software.
    Last edited by mcjam45; 01-07-2013 at 02:01 AM.

12. Your ad here

Thanks
    Hello mcjam45,

thank you for your advice!

I am getting confused now...
    I thought the i1Pro was a device that could only be used to profile monitors, not also printer. But from what you says it seems to be the contrary "- used i1 pro v1 revision D with Monaco profiler for RGB printer profiling and basICColor Display for display profiling".

I've tried to look up "i1 pro v1 revision D" but I could not find anything, what do you mean?
    On X-rite website the i1 Pro (are we talking about the i1 Display Pro, right? [URL="http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=1454"]http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=1454[/URL]) is sold for around 200€ therefore it would really be within my budget but it doesn't say anything about printer profiling...

I think I'm missing something...

Thank you very much!

Ale

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ale_Paris View Post
    I thought the i1Pro was a device that could only be used to profile monitors, not also printer.
    i1 Display Pro is for displays only, while [URL="http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/i1_pro.htm"]i1 Pro[/URL] (i1Pro) is for both, display and printer profiling. Also don't confuse the later with it's successor, the i1Pro 2, which exceeds your budget.

I've tried to look up "i1 pro v1 revision D" but I could not find anything, what do you mean?
    There is a [URL="http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/attachments/classifieds-video-compnts/36104d1336086004-x-rite-i1pro-eye-pro-spectroradiometer-rev-d-img_3782-p20.jpg"]label[/URL] on the back side of the i1Pro that indicates the revision (right from the x-rite logo). i would go for the the latest revision, "REV D".
    Last edited by mcjam45; 01-07-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Thanks
    Obviously you are right...
    I haven't seen the i1Pro before and, yes, it exceeds my budget unfortunately.

Considering that I have to work and I don't have time to find a used what could I do?
    Is it worth to buy the i1 Display Pro (would the quality of the profiles be the same?) and then adding another device to profile the printers?

My priority is to profile the monitors, then the printers.

Thank you very much!

Thanks
    I haven't seen the i1Pro before and, yes, it exceeds my budget unfortunately.
    This is true for the newer i1Pro 2, but as for the i1Pro it should be possible to get a used device in good condition for 400€ or less.

Considering that I have to work and I don't have time to find a used what could I do? Is it worth to buy the i1 Display Pro (would the quality of the profiles be the same?) and then adding another device to profile the printers?
    in my opinion, the i1 display pro is an even better device for display profiling than the much more expensive i1Pro in many cases (better dark readings for example), so I think it's worth it and if you add a used DTP20 later for printer profiling, you will have a great professional solution for about 500€ in total.

Thanks
    I understand your point of view but the problem is that I have no idea of where I could find an used i1Pro v1...more over revision D :-)
    I see that this would be the best deal in terms of price/quality but I can't find it...

I took a quick a look on ebay and the few i1Pros where either sold on the other side of the world or where already out of budget.

I think I need a combination of devices that I can find new in shops at the moment.
    Even if I will have to sacrifice a bit of quality... :-(

Thank you very much!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast