+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: How to print only pure yellow without other colors particles (dithering)

  1. #1
    Junior Member stecca is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    How to print only pure yellow without other colors particles (dithering)

    Hello, i make the example of my problem:

    1- I have a yellow image that i want to print for make cmyk sum after

    2- I choose the yellow pant cYmk as 100% and put in print with photoshop

    3 PROBLEM- The print have printed his yellow (with Dithering) with adding microts of other colors.

    How to say to the printer via photoshop (or other programs) to use only the Yellow he got and print only that without any other color "intromission" ?

    (Not problem if the yellow doesn't match with the yellow on the screen, i need pure yellow to make print tests)

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Junior Member toli13 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That will be a problem, as the prints out of photoshop are color managed and yellow on the paper is not just yellow ink. The color management tries to print an "ideal" yellow and to compensate for example errors in ink formula or influences from the paper, it mixes the yellow with somewhat cyan or magenta. The only chance you have, is using a RIP. There you can make settings, only to use pure colors for primary colors.

  3. #3
    Junior Member stecca is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thank you a lot, i'm searchin what is rip rasterizing ... but if you could help tell me how to do on photoshop or with an external program.

    For example make a yellow square and print it pure yellow... same on cyan, and magenta

    thx

  4. #4
    Moderator Aaron125 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    140
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    It simply isn't possible to do what you're asking for stecca - at least not using Photoshop or ANY application which makes use of the standard Windows or Mac printer drivers.

    The reason for this is that neither Windows nor Mac operating systems know how to process CMYK, or in fact do anything at all with CMYK. That's the reason a RIP is 100% necessary because that is the only way can get control over how the printer lays down the ink on paper and what combinations of inks are used to make various colours.

    All Windows and Mac printer drivers are RGB drivers, regardless of how many or what colour inks the printer itself actually uses to physically print the image onto a piece of paper. Because of this, no matter what kind of instructions are given to the printer driver from Ps or any other non-RIP application, whether the driver is sent Lab, CMYK, HSL, RGB or any other kind of colour encoding you can think of, the driver will always convert said instructions first into RGB and then into the printer's own native colour/ink space.

    This is just of the myriad reasons people decide to use a RIP.

    Hope that helps mate.

  5. #5
    Junior Member stecca is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thank you, there is a free rip printer software somewhere on internet?

  6. #6
    Junior Member king of deadlift is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron125 View Post
    It simply isn't possible to do what you're asking for stecca - at least not using Photoshop or ANY application which makes use of the standard Windows or Mac printer drivers.

    The reason for this is that neither Windows nor Mac operating systems know how to process CMYK, or in fact do anything at all with CMYK. That's the reason a RIP is 100% necessary because that is the only way can get control over how the printer lays down the ink on paper and what combinations of inks are used to make various colours.

    All Windows and Mac printer drivers are RGB drivers, regardless of how many or what colour inks the printer itself actually uses to physically print the image onto a piece of paper. Because of this, no matter what kind of instructions are given to the printer driver from Ps or any other non-RIP application, whether the driver is sent Lab, CMYK, HSL, RGB or any other kind of colour encoding you can think of, the driver will always convert said instructions first into RGB and then into the printer's own native colour/ink space.

    This is just of the myriad reasons people decide to use a RIP.

    Hope that helps mate.
    Also, printers actually are all rigged up by some kind of "secret sauce". They have their own definition of proportions in how to mix the CMYK ink. I found that even without dithering, certain brands of printer actually output "pure yellow" patches with green dots in them.

  7. #7
    Junior Member caveman is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Printer drivers are capable of printing "pure" colors. What needs to do is to turn off color management in the driver AND the application from which he prints.
    For example, in Epson drivers, under "Mode" you have to select "Off(no color management)" and in Photoshop you also select "No color management" in the color matching option (Print menu dialog).
    In Photoshop CS5 or 6 this option is not available. Alternatively you can download from Adobe the "Adobe Color Printer Utility" to be able to print without color management.

    Hope it helps

  8. #8
    Junior Member Chris_Cross is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stecca View Post
    Hello, i make the example of my problem:

    1- I have a yellow image that i want to print for make cmyk sum after

    2- I choose the yellow pant cYmk as 100% and put in print with photoshop

    3 PROBLEM- The print have printed his yellow (with Dithering) with adding microts of other colors.

    How to say to the printer via photoshop (or other programs) to use only the Yellow he got and print only that without any other color "intromission" ?

    (Not problem if the yellow doesn't match with the yellow on the screen, i need pure yellow to make print tests)

    Thank you
    Which RIP are you used?

  9. #9
    Banned medus4 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    i think that just works with offset printing, cause on digital printing you got always a print pattern

  10. #10
    PRC Member lessbones is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    144
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked 35 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    Printer drivers are capable of printing "pure" colors. What needs to do is to turn off color management in the driver AND the application from which he prints.
    For example, in Epson drivers, under "Mode" you have to select "Off(no color management)" and in Photoshop you also select "No color management" in the color matching option (Print menu dialog).
    In Photoshop CS5 or 6 this option is not available. Alternatively you can download from Adobe the "Adobe Color Printer Utility" to be able to print without color management.

    Hope it helps

    I can't speak for any other printer drivers besides Epson, but printing with no color management still will not necessarily give you a "pure" yellow. Printer drivers that come with Epson printers (and pretty much all others) are RGB drivers, meaning you are sending RGB data to the printer, where it is then broken up into CMYK at the printer's discretion. A RIP is capable of controlling each ink individually, and therefore telling the printer to only fire the yellow nozzles.

    That being said, I have actually sent a color field (yellow, oddly enough) through to my printer without color management, and I believe it was printing pretty solidly with yellow only, although that wasn't why I was doing this, so I didn't look through a loupe or anything.

    BUT, because you are using yellow specifically, and there is no printer (that I know of) with more than yellow ink, I think there's a fairly good chance that the printer will send the yellow RGB data directly to the yellow channel in cmyk. You'll just have to do some testing with the ACPU to see whats up.

  11. Your ad here

  12. #11
    Junior Member walterxu is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    You Need RIP Software

    RIP such as: CGS、Colorgate、EFI、GMG、Photoprint can do it.

  13. #12
    Banned maeiwill is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    142
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    try art pro can do this

  14. #13
    Banned xhack is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron125 View Post
    It simply isn't possible to do what you're asking for stecca - at least not using Photoshop or ANY application which makes use of the standard Windows or Mac printer drivers.

    The reason for this is that neither Windows nor Mac operating systems know how to process CMYK, or in fact do anything at all with CMYK. That's the reason a RIP is 100% necessary because that is the only way can get control over how the printer lays down the ink on paper and what combinations of inks are used to make various colours.

    All Windows and Mac printer drivers are RGB drivers, regardless of how many or what colour inks the printer itself actually uses to physically print the image onto a piece of paper. Because of this, no matter what kind of instructions are given to the printer driver from Ps or any other non-RIP application, whether the driver is sent Lab, CMYK, HSL, RGB or any other kind of colour encoding you can think of, the driver will always convert said instructions first into RGB and then into the printer's own native colour/ink space.

    This is just of the myriad reasons people decide to use a RIP.

    Hope that helps mate.
    Actually, its not the OS issue, its the driver used... if you user a driver from Gutenprint (open source) you can actually treat you printer as a CMYK device, and send CMYK data to it. On OSX after you install the software, you will have several new drivers to choose from when you "add" a new printer.

  15. #14
    Junior Member shampa will become famous soon enough
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 49 Times in 18 Posts
    What printer are you using?

  16. #15
    Junior Member Grimar is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Dithering may be caused of color conversion due to output profile. Let printer determine colors, it may help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Nokia Pure
    By reggie452 in forum Resources
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-18-2015, 01:56 PM
  2. Yellow Design Studio - ThirstyRough
    By raljralj in forum Resources
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-19-2013, 10:58 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-13-2012, 01:13 AM
  4. yellow print output with flexisign pro 10
    By sacristo in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-01-2012, 09:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts