+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to print only pure yellow without other colors particles (dithering)

Junior Member stecca is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

How to print only pure yellow without other colors particles (dithering)

Hello, i make the example of my problem:

1- I have a yellow image that i want to print for make cmyk sum after

2- I choose the yellow pant cYmk as 100% and put in print with photoshop

3 PROBLEM- The print have printed his yellow (with Dithering) with adding microts of other colors.

How to say to the printer via photoshop (or other programs) to use only the Yellow he got and print only that without any other color "intromission" ?

(Not problem if the yellow doesn't match with the yellow on the screen, i need pure yellow to make print tests)

Thank you

Junior Member toli13 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    That will be a problem, as the prints out of photoshop are color managed and yellow on the paper is not just yellow ink. The color management tries to print an "ideal" yellow and to compensate for example errors in ink formula or influences from the paper, it mixes the yellow with somewhat cyan or magenta. The only chance you have, is using a RIP. There you can make settings, only to use pure colors for primary colors.

Thanks
    Thank you a lot, i'm searchin what is rip rasterizing ... but if you could help tell me how to do on photoshop or with an external program.

For example make a yellow square and print it pure yellow... same on cyan, and magenta

thx

Moderator Aaron125 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    It simply isn't possible to do what you're asking for stecca - at least not using Photoshop or ANY application which makes use of the standard Windows or Mac printer drivers.

The reason for this is that neither Windows nor Mac operating systems know how to process CMYK, or in fact do anything at all with CMYK. That's the reason a RIP is 100% necessary because that is the only way can get control over how the printer lays down the ink on paper and what combinations of inks are used to make various colours.

All Windows and Mac printer drivers are RGB drivers, regardless of how many or what colour inks the printer itself actually uses to physically print the image onto a piece of paper. Because of this, no matter what kind of instructions are given to the printer driver from Ps or any other non-RIP application, whether the driver is sent Lab, CMYK, HSL, RGB or any other kind of colour encoding you can think of, the driver will always convert said instructions first into RGB and then into the printer's own native colour/ink space.

This is just of the myriad reasons people decide to use a RIP.

Hope that helps mate.

Thanks
    Thank you, there is a free rip printer software somewhere on internet?

Junior Member king of deadlift is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron125 View Post
    It simply isn't possible to do what you're asking for stecca - at least not using Photoshop or ANY application which makes use of the standard Windows or Mac printer drivers.

The reason for this is that neither Windows nor Mac operating systems know how to process CMYK, or in fact do anything at all with CMYK. That's the reason a RIP is 100% necessary because that is the only way can get control over how the printer lays down the ink on paper and what combinations of inks are used to make various colours.

All Windows and Mac printer drivers are RGB drivers, regardless of how many or what colour inks the printer itself actually uses to physically print the image onto a piece of paper. Because of this, no matter what kind of instructions are given to the printer driver from Ps or any other non-RIP application, whether the driver is sent Lab, CMYK, HSL, RGB or any other kind of colour encoding you can think of, the driver will always convert said instructions first into RGB and then into the printer's own native colour/ink space.

Hope that helps mate.
    Also, printers actually are all rigged up by some kind of "secret sauce". They have their own definition of proportions in how to mix the CMYK ink. I found that even without dithering, certain brands of printer actually output "pure yellow" patches with green dots in them.

Junior Member caveman is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Printer drivers are capable of printing "pure" colors. What needs to do is to turn off color management in the driver AND the application from which he prints.
    For example, in Epson drivers, under "Mode" you have to select "Off(no color management)" and in Photoshop you also select "No color management" in the color matching option (Print menu dialog).
    In Photoshop CS5 or 6 this option is not available. Alternatively you can download from Adobe the "Adobe Color Printer Utility" to be able to print without color management.

Hope it helps

Junior Member Chris_Cross is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stecca View Post
    Hello, i make the example of my problem:

1- I have a yellow image that i want to print for make cmyk sum after

2- I choose the yellow pant cYmk as 100% and put in print with photoshop

3 PROBLEM- The print have printed his yellow (with Dithering) with adding microts of other colors.

How to say to the printer via photoshop (or other programs) to use only the Yellow he got and print only that without any other color "intromission" ?

(Not problem if the yellow doesn't match with the yellow on the screen, i need pure yellow to make print tests)

Thank you
    Which RIP are you used?

Banned medus4 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    i think that just works with offset printing, cause on digital printing you got always a print pattern

PRC Member lessbones is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    Printer drivers are capable of printing "pure" colors. What needs to do is to turn off color management in the driver AND the application from which he prints.
    For example, in Epson drivers, under "Mode" you have to select "Off(no color management)" and in Photoshop you also select "No color management" in the color matching option (Print menu dialog).
    In Photoshop CS5 or 6 this option is not available. Alternatively you can download from Adobe the "Adobe Color Printer Utility" to be able to print without color management.

Hope it helps

I can't speak for any other printer drivers besides Epson, but printing with no color management still will not necessarily give you a "pure" yellow. Printer drivers that come with Epson printers (and pretty much all others) are RGB drivers, meaning you are sending RGB data to the printer, where it is then broken up into CMYK at the printer's discretion. A RIP is capable of controlling each ink individually, and therefore telling the printer to only fire the yellow nozzles.

That being said, I have actually sent a color field (yellow, oddly enough) through to my printer without color management, and I believe it was printing pretty solidly with yellow only, although that wasn't why I was doing this, so I didn't look through a loupe or anything.

BUT, because you are using yellow specifically, and there is no printer (that I know of) with more than yellow ink, I think there's a fairly good chance that the printer will send the yellow RGB data directly to the yellow channel in cmyk. You'll just have to do some testing with the ACPU to see whats up.

11. Your ad here

Junior Member walterxu is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

You Need RIP Software

RIP such as: CGS、Colorgate、EFI、GMG、Photoprint can do it.

Banned maeiwill is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    try art pro can do this

Banned xhack is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron125 View Post

Hope that helps mate.
    Actually, its not the OS issue, its the driver used... if you user a driver from Gutenprint (open source) you can actually treat you printer as a CMYK device, and send CMYK data to it. On OSX after you install the software, you will have several new drivers to choose from when you "add" a new printer.

Junior Member shampa will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    What printer are you using?

Junior Member Grimar is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Dithering may be caused of color conversion due to output profile. Let printer determine colors, it may help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast