+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with profiling a HP designjet 800PS using an i1 spectrophotometer

Donor sumilux is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Help with profiling a HP designjet 800PS using an i1 spectrophotometer

Hi,

I recently inherited a designjet 800ps 24" 4 colour printer. I've come from a designjet 100 which basically uses the same print heads and as fas as I can tell, the same inks.

I've achieved great results with the 100 via eyeone calibration and using just the lowly print driver that comes with win7. The 800PS has a PS RIP installed which I guess has some advantages but Im having terrible issues related to print quality. I intend to use it as a poster printer, nothing super high quality photo output, just basic posters for the basic joe in the street that can't tell the difference between the output of a DJ100 on plain paper VS say a Z3200 on photo paper and that makes up most of the poster buying public.

It appears that the RIP is dithering the colours completely differently from my DJ100. Patches on the test charts are much much coarser and of even lower gamut than the 100 despite the fact that I've set all quality settings to max. The ink dots look huge compared to my DJ100 test charts and while you can still see dot dither patterns on the DJ 100 test patch prints when held at half arms length, those on the 800PS are remain coarse and raw at full arms length, it looks no more than 720dpi despite the printer being touted as 2400x1200.

I'm using the HP 800PS 24 HPGL2 driver. I print the test chart using the Adobe Color Printer Utility that they brought out with CS5, specifically for printing test charts with no colour management.

Is there a straight raster driver for the 800ps that will give me smoother dithered patches like on the 100, again both printers use identical printheads and inks.

Any advice from fellow DJ800PS owners who have encountered this problem would be much appreciated.

It looks as though the 800 is printing in a low rez mode despite having set it for best everywhere I can. I have specified plain paper as I'm printing onto Xerox A1 24" wide 100gsm plain paper roll (essentially regular photocopy paper) which is of course not ideal but I've had great results for poster type prints so far with the 100. Perhaps the 800's built in plain paper setting dictates a coarser low rez output in which case what paper should I select to at least hit a rez that matches that of the entry level DJ100 or is the problem in how the built in DJ800 rip renders the output.

Also should I be printing and profiling CMYK charts when profiling the 800PS built in RIP? I've tried printing the ECI2002 cmyk chart which also looks coarse. I'm assuming the yellow / magenta strips that run the border from top to bottom should print pure Y / M but the M in particular has dither dots.

Please help, hope all the above info helps.

Donor T. Schruda is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    might be of interest..

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/284912

i have a Z3200ps.. not sure if the same applies for you.. but i have to build RGB profiles. and save those in the printer for each media.

the PS driver has like a dozen possible color workspaces that it recognizies.

so i can f.e. send a pdf and a media wedge in FOGRA29 to the printer and it will internally RIP it and get a veryfication

Donor sumilux is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link, yes I read that thread in fact it is what made me print out the eci2002 target. There seems to be a lot of info in that thread but no real answers, I'm new to all this so it may be over my head.

However the primary issue I'm having hasn't been addressed which is how to improve the quality of the prints I'm getting to at least the standard I get on the lowly but same generation Designjet 100. The native output of the 800PS is just rubbish coarse in comparison. If I get a chance then I might scan part of the target from both the 100 and 800ps to illustrate the huge difference. I'm also getting banding issues with the 800PS

Any advice on over riding the internal Postscript engine and printing with just a plain vanilla raster driver would be great, but which driver and how?

I'm certain the low resolution output is software / RIP related.

The Z3200 rip you mention sounds good but the one in the 800ps is pushing 12 years old so it seems relatively inflexible and is of course slow as hell. Another reason why I want the raster driver. I simply don't need postscript for printing images but there is no apparent way to downgrade the 800PS to straight 800.

Anyone who knows these printers or the 500 which is virtually identical just lower rez, please help.

Thanks in advance.

Donor T. Schruda is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    man. those are so many thinkgs and like you say.. it seems you are at the beginning.. sorry for you ;-).. i know what is to come ..

google, which software RIP supports your printer. like EFI colorproof.. and try to set this up.. way to go, too.. but might help you

+ Reply to Thread