+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fogra Media Wedge v2/v3

Junior Member Mchielll is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Question Fogra Media Wedge v2/v3

I have 2 questions about this wedge:

1) We use the Fogra Media Wedge v2 to measure our production to conform to ISO12647-2. Is this OK, cause the only thing I could find, was a conform to ISO12647-7. Or does it not really matter?
    2) Is Fogra Media Wedge v3 the successor of version 2? In other words: can it also be used for measuring production print (ISO12647-2)?

Thanks in advance!

PRC Member ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Actually, MediaWedge v2 or v3 was made to measure digital proofs to conform ISO 12647-7. As for production, MediaWedge is not suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mchielll View Post
    I have 2 questions about this wedge:

1) We use the Fogra Media Wedge v2 to measure our production to conform to ISO12647-2. Is this OK, cause the only thing I could find, was a conform to ISO12647-7. Or does it not really matter?
    2) Is Fogra Media Wedge v3 the successor of version 2? In other words: can it also be used for measuring production print (ISO12647-2)?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ColorWizard View Post
    Actually, MediaWedge v2 or v3 was made to measure digital proofs to conform ISO 12647-7. As for production, MediaWedge is not suitable.
    Yeah, I thought so. But actually, we are in a pretty complex situation. Our company uses two iGen4 digital presses. Though there is no standardization for digital print production YET, we use conformity to ISO12647-2. And after we have profiled the igen conform to this standard, we measure his color differences in comparison with the standard by using the fogra media wedge v2. Although production is set on the relative rendering intent, the wedge print is set on absolute rendering intent. So, doesn't that mean that we are measuring production through a proof-setting (absolute rendering)? And would that be alright?

PRC Member ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Compliance with ISO 12647-2 does not guarantee a match between printouts and proof made with emulation of ISO Coated v2 (ECI), for example. To be sure your iGen is capable to match a reference printing condition and to produce repeatable results in short-time and long-time terms I would recommend to look at [URL="http://www.idealliance.org/certifications/digital-press"]IDEAlliance Digital Press Certification[/URL] based on requirements of upcoming standard ISO 12647-8 available in DIS.

Thanks
    Ok, thanks again!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mchielll For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Question

I have yet another question.
    When you want to measure the proof with Ugra/Fogra Media Wedge v2, do you use this same media wedge if the proof happens to be for uncoated production?

Junior Member aerol is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    When you want to measure the proof with Ugra/Fogra Media Wedge v2, do you use this same media wedge if the proof happens to be for uncoated production?
    If you are using EFI Colorproof XF you should set the appropriate profile in the ColorVerifier than measure.

Member uwaburg is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    The media wedge is always the same - only when verifying the proof the reference data for the color patches has to be chosen accordingly to the proof setup.
    for uncoated paper: FOGRA29 (old) or FOGRA47 (current)

Thanks
    OK, thanks, i get that.
    My last question: can you use an uncoated substrate as proof paper for measuring uncoated production (with fogra wedge of course) or do you use always a coated substrate witch absolute rendering?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mchielll For This Useful Post:

Junior Member aerol is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    OK, thanks, i get that.
    My last question: can you use an uncoated substrate as proof paper for measuring uncoated production (with fogra wedge of course) or do you use always a coated substrate witch absolute rendering?
    Good question, we use the same substrate (EFI Offset Proof Paper 9200SM) for every profile...

But yesterday we got a custumer proof which was made on uncoated substrate (EFI Proof Paper 9190 matte) with an uncoated simulation.

I think that if you have different type proof substrate you have to make baselin, icc for those substrates too...

13. Your ad here

Member uwaburg is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    OK, thanks, i get that.
    We also use GMG ProofPaper matt 140 for uncoated proofs. visual appearance and haptics are better than on semimatte paper (which nevertheless is absolutely usable and valid for uncoated proofs).
    GMG provides ready-to-use mx3-calibrations and mx4 proof profiles for all their papers and all current print standards, so no extra work with building lins and stuff.
    Still one of the enormous advantages of the GMG system!

Banned servitz is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Any substrate

You can use the same substrate for colorproof - any coated or uncoated...
    In other case you need make new linearization and profiling.

Moderator super silja will become famous soon enough super silja's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uwaburg View Post
    We also use GMG ProofPaper matt 140 for uncoated proofs. visual appearance and haptics are better than on semimatte paper (which nevertheless is absolutely usable and valid for uncoated proofs).
    GMG provides ready-to-use mx3-calibrations and mx4 proof profiles for all their papers and all current print standards, so no extra work with building lins and stuff.
    Still one of the enormous advantages of the GMG system!
    almost all system do that in same way, one input/simulation and one media profile advantage of other system is that you can use it other media, where GMG fall

Junior Member jonl8038 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    for what i know, mediawedge V2/V3 make the same result , it just like at the beginning Fogra27 then Fogra39 ....it successor but for production it not recommanded to use...

ECI_GrayConL_FOGRA39 would be the correct one to use for production on press

Junior Member cmjn.cmjn is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    hello
    I search the media Wedge V2, you can provide me
    cordially
    Guillaume

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast