+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fiery RIP how to linearize + profile with external software

Banned smilem is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Fiery RIP how to linearize + profile with external software

What is the correct way to create ICC profiles for EFI Fiery RIP with external software, profilemaker, i1Profiler etc.

I mean I can print linearization.tif file generated by x-rite software, then print profiling.tif chart using the Fiery RIP with color management off. But then the EPL file is not created for my media to be connected with Profile connector?

Or do simply not require to use Fiery RIP linearization at all if external software is used?

Donor T. Schruda is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    There are two different steps. You do the lin process in efi to the end and buld your epl including lin and inklimits. And save epl. Then you have to turn colormanagement on in the linerazation workflow. And print the external chart using the epl you created. And that chart you can read and build a profile that you later connect to the epl with profile connector

Banned smilem is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T. Schruda View Post
    There are two different steps. You do the lin process in efi to the end and buld your epl including lin and inklimits. And save epl. Then you have to turn colormanagement on in the linerazation workflow. And print the external chart using the epl you created. And that chart you can read and build a profile that you later connect to the epl with profile connector
    I was thinking that color management needs to be off when printing targets.
    What if I need to create profile for remote location and they do not have a spectro?

Junior Member szeap is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    You can use Fiery Color Profiler Suite

Teuflutch
    Color profiler suite is the good way to profil your system because there is optimisation when you create device link.
    This software is easy to use of course and full integreted with FIERY RIP

Donor bortbox is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Fiery Color Profiler not needed

I am assuming the poster is talking about a Fiery RIP to a toner device, not Fiery XF.

This can be a bit confusing because older Command Workstation versions (ver_4 and below) are not very clear about the ColorWise color management path.

For building media profiles, you basically have to be concerned with the ColorWise options labeled CMYK simulation. Despite what it looks like, these two options behave accordingly:

CMYK simulation set to “None” – This option uses the Fiery’s calibration / linearization, but bypasses any simulation or output profiles.

CMYK simulation set to “Colorwise Off” – This option bypasses everything including calibration / linearization, simulation profiles, and output profiles.

If you are using a third part utility to profile your Fiery, keep in mind that you want to profile in CMYK. There is no RGB workflow that bypasses color management, and all output is going to use a CMYK profile regardless of the input color space.

So, my recommendation is to first calibrate your Fiery using Command Workstation. You could use ColorCal, but I highly recommend against it. If you have an EFI ES1000 / i1Pro (same device) use that, or pick up a DTP32 / DTP32+ dirt cheap from eBay. Follow the ColorWise Calibration procedure as directed. (Note, you can use any X-Rite spectro / densitometer to calibrate using ColorPort, but that is another thread).

Now, have your profiling package generate the targets as PDF or TIFF. Use Command workstation to import the targets directly onto the Fiery’s hold queue. From there, edit the job ticket setting the CMYK simulation to “none”. Again, this will print the targets using the calibration you just created, but not use any output profiles (I don’t care what Command Workstation 4 says, it does NOT use any output profile… upgrade to CW 5 you lazy sod).

Now measure your CMYK targets, create and ICC profile, import them onto the Fiery, and set up your color management workflow (either per job, or as default).

Hope this helps.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bortbox For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread