+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38

Thread: Epson wt7900

  1. #1
    Junior Member claude23 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 21 Times in 10 Posts

    Epson wt7900

    Does any one use epson's WT7900 proofer that has ability to print white, on various surfaces?

    any comments?
    if you use it, with what rip?
    Issues, with white?

    thanks

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to claude23 For This Useful Post:

  3. #2
    PRC Member bamboo is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    96
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 37 Times in 24 Posts
    Ask Epson - they'll send you a few printed demo sheets.

    EFI XF 4.1 works fine with White Ink (using "alias" definition for one of pantone(r) spot color that is set to overprint in design).

    wt7900 cleaner Ink consumed *very* fast :(

    Better is to worry about the color management in areas with and without white ink in the same job - i believe that the colours will not be the same... Especially on metals. THAT is the problem!

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bamboo For This Useful Post:

  5. #3
    Junior Member claude23 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 21 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bamboo View Post
    Ask Epson - they'll send you a few printed demo sheets.

    EFI XF 4.1 works fine with White Ink (using "alias" definition for one of pantone(r) spot color that is set to overprint in design).

    wt7900 cleaner Ink consumed *very* fast :(

    Better is to worry about the color management in areas with and without white ink in the same job - i believe that the colours will not be the same... Especially on metals. THAT is the problem!
    yes they will send the samples they know are ok, but if i send them an actual work?
    did you try to print anything on the metal?
    do they have a metalized paper or you have to apply metal by your self?

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to claude23 For This Useful Post:

  7. #4
    PRC Member bamboo is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    96
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 37 Times in 24 Posts
    When you need to print (proofs) on both metal and transparent - better is to choose transparent only. Then just place the printed sheet (with white ink) on metal foil for viewing. But be warned that TRUE metal foil dissolves light rays in more narrow angle than Epson clearproof film due to film thickness. Too much words... You need to compare the proof on clearproof film to real metal foil print by yourself. Just look at different angles in good light.

    And do not forget that i.e. 100c100m on white ink looks different on metal. You can proof colours only on white OR on metal, not both simultaneously. AFAIK there is NO RIP software that takes two reference ICC for one proof (w/whiteink & w/o whiteink areas). I wish to be wrong, but... Let me know if i am.

    Also, here is the negative responses about inks on metal proofs - read that thread carefully: http://printplanet.com/forums/color-management/22451-epson-wt7900-printer

    ps. sorry for my broken english.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bamboo For This Useful Post:

  9. #5
    sarnaik
    Guest
    Epson WT and gmg together works great for me. As compared to the price you pay and the quality you get based on what is available currently. The only disadvantage of Epson so far is they haven't produced different substrates for WT. The printer is used mostly by packaging people where most of the time White is an ink.
    To simulate substrates, it's better to print on transparent and overlay the printed film on the actual substrate. There will be colour variations due to the ink used, the printed substrate and the base material. One should consider setting White opacities for each colour depending on the shades to get the closest match. Epson is soon going to release transparent Shrink substrate. This will be useful for making shrink labels or sleeves.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarnaik For This Useful Post:

  11. #6
    Banned biohazard32 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 19 Times in 13 Posts
    Which soft do you use, DotProof or Flexoproof from GMG?

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biohazard32 For This Useful Post:

  13. #7
    Junior Member claude23 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 21 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sarnaik View Post
    Epson WT and gmg together works great for me. As compared to the price you pay and the quality you get based on what is available currently. The only disadvantage of Epson so far is they haven't produced different substrates for WT. The printer is used mostly by packaging people where most of the time White is an ink.
    To simulate substrates, it's better to print on transparent and overlay the printed film on the actual substrate. There will be colour variations due to the ink used, the printed substrate and the base material. One should consider setting White opacities for each colour depending on the shades to get the closest match. Epson is soon going to release transparent Shrink substrate. This will be useful for making shrink labels or sleeves.
    When you overlay it it's not the same, can you choose in GMG the different type of substrate? different whites?

    I know that they will never get on a metal substrates very far, my main concern is white on a foil, because you could never reproduce white as a printer (talking about customer) can reproduce.

    Shrink...those proof will never be good, many different packers with different temperatures and different line. How are they going to apply solvent to form a sleeve?!
    anyway, looking forward to see this....

    How is the drying of white affecting other colors, I heard that they have a lot of problemswith that?

    Is it true?

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to claude23 For This Useful Post:

  15. #8
    PRC Member Chiefster is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by claude23 View Post
    How is the drying of white affecting other colors, I heard that they have a lot of problemswith that?

    Is it true?
    The white takes along time to dry, recommended to wait at least 30 mins before taking any colour readings & it is also very susceptible to marks & scratches so proofs have to be handled with care.

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chiefster For This Useful Post:

  17. #9
    lithographer
    Guest
    can I print white as a spot color on the 7900? I haven't seen one yet.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to lithographer For This Useful Post:

  19. #10
    PRC Member Chiefster is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lithographer View Post
    can I print white as a spot color on the 7900? I haven't seen one yet.
    White is only available on the WT7900 not a normal 7900, depending on what proofing software you are using white can printed as both a spot colour from a separation or set to automatically back they entire area of a job.

  20. Your ad here

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chiefster For This Useful Post:

  22. #11
    Member mzbdn has a spectacular aura about mzbdn has a spectacular aura about mzbdn has a spectacular aura about mzbdn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 203 Times in 39 Posts
    Should look at the support does not support the use of the RIP!

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to mzbdn For This Useful Post:

  24. #12
    Donor delfinr5 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 15 Times in 9 Posts

    Epson wt7900

    1.- Colorgate Proofgate 6
    2.- PrintFactory
    3.- Caldera
    4.- EFI

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to delfinr5 For This Useful Post:

  26. #13
    PRC Member Chiefster is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delfinr5 View Post
    1.- Colorgate Proofgate 6
    2.- PrintFactory
    3.- Caldera
    4.- EFI
    5 - GMG ColorProof

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chiefster For This Useful Post:

  28. #14
    Donor delfinr5 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    5 - GMG ColorProof
    Thank you very much and sorry, I forgot GMG.
    Greetings

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to delfinr5 For This Useful Post:

  30. #15
    pso
    pso is offline
    Donor pso is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
    6. CGS Oris too

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to pso For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rip for Epson 9900 - Fine art Print
    By philoumg in forum Imposition & RiP
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 02-21-2014, 12:50 PM
  2. Adjustment Epson pro-7400-7800-9400-9800
    By sagi in forum Classic Tools
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-28-2014, 06:05 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts