+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Epson Stylus Pro 3880 - Cartrige Error and Color Management in PS

Member Ale_Paris is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Epson Stylus Pro 3880 - Cartrige Error and Color Management in PS

Hello,

I've just bought an Epson Stylus Pro 3880 and today I've installed but I had a few problems.

First of all when I've inserted the cartriges for the first time to fill the tanks, as described in the procedure, the printer said "insert correct cartrige" in slot number 5 (Cyan).
    The problem was that I had inserted the correct cartrige!
    I tried to take it out and reinsert it a few times and now the message doesn't appear again. I even prepared a file to print with just a 100% cyan square and it has been printed correctly.
    The thing that makes me wonder is that, while all the cartriges are correctly partly empty (as the ink has been transferred to the tanks) the Cyan displays as if it is completely full. Isn't it weird?
    Is there anything I can do to see if everything is as it should?

Secondly I've tried to print a series of images on Hahnemühle Photo Rag Duo but it has been a disaster.
    Even if I've downloaded the ICC Profile from Hahnemühle website colors seems to be very innacurate. Moreover, certain images, prints very very dark in the shadows and all images are, generally speaking, flat.
    Moreover if I print a B&W photo is has a strong yellow compnt in the highlights (I can't judge the shadows by eye).
    I was color managing the prints directly in photoshop, disabling the color management of the printer in the driver.
    Things seems to get a bit better if I apply the ICC Profile in the driver of the printer and letting ColorSync managing the situation but results are far from satisfactory.

I obtained the best results printing with Adobe RGB as printing profile, selecting it from the printed driver panel and using "Epson Color Regolation" instead of "ColorSync", but obviously this is not the correct procedure...and still results are not satisfactory...

If anbody can help...it's really stressfull... :-)

Thank you very much!

Ale

Donor Gargoyle will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Hi Ale,

I'm not sure about the Epson 3880 but are you using genuine Epson inks?

Donor mcjam45 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I would contact the epson support in order to get a replacement. It's unacceptable that you have such problems with a brand new unit (and cyan showing 100% after initial charge procedure *is* a problem).

Member Ale_Paris is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Hello,

yes, I use the original colors.

And yes, on monday, first thing in the morning, I called the epson support to see what was going on.
    They told me that the problem was probably the chip on top of the cartridge that was not read properly by the printer for some reasons.
    They told me that, if the printer was properly printing cyan (and I've printed a small square of pure cyan that I've made in photoshop) the problem would have been just the cartridge.
    They explained me the procedure to have a new cartridge but they advised me to print with this till it worked and then change it...

Anyway, I've been printing for a while now and the ink level in the Cyan cartridge is going down just like the other cartridge and the "please insert correct cartridge" message seems not to appear any more...

Another thing that I've found out is that there is a mistake in the epson driver: if you look to print "A+" size you need to look in the submenu of "Super B" that is actually displaying the "A+" sizes pages option.
    If you select directly the "A+" size pages in the menu there is a mistake (epson set the "A+" size as 339mm*493mm) and you will not be able to print without borders as the printer (before printing) would check the dimension of the sheet of paper that you have inserted and as it doesn't correspond to 339mm*493mm (obviously) it doesn't let you print.

I hope that might help somebody, I spent day finding a solution...

Bye!

Junior Member tedx is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Good

thank for your answer

Moderator Aaron125 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ale_Paris View Post
    Hello,

yes, I use the original colors.

And yes, on monday, first thing in the morning, I called the epson support to see what was going on.
    They told me that the problem was probably the chip on top of the cartridge that was not read properly by the printer for some reasons.
    They told me that, if the printer was properly printing cyan (and I've printed a small square of pure cyan that I've made in photoshop) the problem would have been just the cartridge.
    They explained me the procedure to have a new cartridge but they advised me to print with this till it worked and then change it...

Anyway, I've been printing for a while now and the ink level in the Cyan cartridge is going down just like the other cartridge and the "please insert correct cartridge" message seems not to appear any more...
    Just to let you know, it is not physically possible to insert the wrong cartridge in the wrong slot because every ink cart is setup or 'keyed' such that it is not physically possible to insert the wrong colour into the wrong slot unless using immense physical pressure to break the printer and/or ink cart and force the cart into the wrong slot.

If you have any problems of any nature you should immediately be calling your Epson Support line for assistance. Because the 3880 is an Epson Professional Printer, it includes on-site warranty support, which means that the Epson Technician will actually come out to your house/business/premises to fix the problem. If they need to take your printer away for further repairs, they will leave you with of their own 3880 units to use as a replacement, while your unit is being repaired.

I know this because when I bought my 3880, there was a problem with the capping station and a few other bits inside the printer and I was getting white lines all through my prints where the ink wasn't coming out of some nozzles. In the end, my printer was replaced with a brand-new unit, still in it's unopened box. I also managed to get 4 boxes of 13" x 19" paper and 5 or 6 ink carts (can't remember exactly as this was about 2 years ago or more). But that's because their technician tried to screw me around and I went over his head, to the Epson Professional Product Manager for Australia and told him how I was treated and he fixed the situation immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ale_Paris View Post
    Another thing that I've found out is that there is a mistake in the epson driver: if you look to print "A+" size you need to look in the submenu of "Super B" that is actually displaying the "A+" sizes pages option.
    If you select directly the "A+" size pages in the menu there is a mistake (epson set the "A+" size as 339mm*493mm) and you will not be able to print without borders as the printer (before printing) would check the dimension of the sheet of paper that you have inserted and as it doesn't correspond to 339mm*493mm (obviously) it doesn't let you print.

I hope that might help somebody, I spent day finding a solution...

Bye!
    There is no problem with the drivers, everything is just fine. I've had my 3880 and a 3800 before it for about 5 years now (or however long it's been since the original 3800 was released. I bought in the first week it was available, same with the 3880) and I can assure you there are no problems with the drivers in their current form.

You have to remember that A3+/Super B/13" x 19" paper size is exactly 329mm x 483mm. The extra 10mm you mentid is because of the borderless printing option, adding 5mm to each border. But, obviously Epson knows the size of the paper, as does the printer itself and it won't be looking for a sheet of paper with the larger dimensions, only to reject a completely normal and expected sheet of A3+ paper, measuring 329
    mm x 483mm.

I'm pretty sure the larger dimensions you are seeing is just a 'reminder' of sorts, to let people know how big their image needs to be for programs like Photoshop, etc, so that they don't try to make a borderless print and set everything up in Ps, only to find that once the print emerges from the printer, it will actually have some (possibly) very thin white border at the very edges of the sheet because the user had not made all of their specifications set correctly.

I can tell you from my own experience, there is no problem to be able to print complete borderless, full bleed prints on any of the sizes the driver allows borderless print to be printed on. I've made A3+, A4, A2, 13" x 19", 17" x 22" borderless prints and have never had any problems whatsoever. For my prints, I always select the "retain size" option in the borderless section of the driver and I obviously allow for this in Ps, making my image larger than the actual 329mm x 483mm of the sheet of paper.

Hope this helps you make some beautiful prints, of which your printer is highly capable of creating. Have fun!

+ Reply to Thread