+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EFI & Epson 7890 - Proof Sharpness

mcjam45

EFI & Epson 7890 - Proof Sharpness

Hi folks,

I'm trying to set up my Epson 7890 with EFI XF 4.5 in order to get decent proofs.

So for testing purposes, i printed out a PDF and compared it to the print I got from offset printing. I'm quite happy with color and validation results, but the sharpness is waaay off in comparison. I hope you can see what I mean on the attached image.

I use Epson Standard Proofing Paper 205g and the Cantone Driver, tried the canned EFI lin + icc profiles for this printer/paper combination and also created custom lin + icc from scratch. Settings: 720x720, unidirectional.

Any advice greatly appreciated…
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by mcjam45; 05-06-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Member PanozJani is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    try a higher resolution. Platesetters usually use 2400/2540 dpi (of course ink absorption is ruining sharpness but you have the same on proofing papers as well, though maybe not so much).

Junior Member JoeColor is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    The sharpest image EFI can produce is by using the HT driver built with 1440x1440 resolution. Unidirectional does not add any sharpness to the print. If you use the CT driver then make sure you use RIP resolution 1440x1440 and print resolution 1440x1440. It won't be as sharp, but it will be as good as it gets.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeColor For This Useful Post:

kccanhtuan
    Quote Originally Posted by mcjam45 View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm trying to set up my Epson 7890 with EFI XF 4.5 in order to get decent proofs.

So for testing purposes, i printed out a PDF and compared it to the print I got from offset printing. I'm quite happy with color and validation results, but the sharpness is waaay off in comparison. I hope you can see what I mean on the attached image.

I use Epson Standard Proofing Paper 205g and the Cantone Driver, tried the canned EFI lin + icc profiles for this printer/paper combination and also created custom lin + icc from scratch. Settings: 720x720, unidirectional.

Any advice greatly appreciated…

You used couche paper or photo paper? If used photo paper (suction ink), you should used higher resolution about 2400x1440 dpi. And if you used couche paper, you shuold used resolution 1400x1400 dpi. Beside, you should Color mode on EFI appropriate, ex CMYK...

Good luck,

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kccanhtuan For This Useful Post:

printsoft
    Thank you very much!
    I'm will test EFI for Epson 7890 with Couche paper. The result is not quite good, the ink is wet on couche paper. I will try other resolutions.

Quote Originally Posted by kccanhtuan View Post
    You used couche paper or photo paper? If used photo paper (suction ink), you should used higher resolution about 2400x1440 dpi. And if you used couche paper, you shuold used resolution 1400x1400 dpi. Beside, you should Color mode on EFI appropriate, ex CMYK...

Good luck,

Zarrazza
    Quote Originally Posted by printsoft View Post
    Thank you very much!
    I'm will test EFI for Epson 7890 with Couche paper. The result is not quite good, the ink is wet on couche paper. I will try other resolutions.

There is something wrong if you get wet spots!
    Remember, in EFI you should create baseline linearization for each resolution. Yes, it means different calibration settings on same paper with different resolution.

I don't believe that higher resolution will give you appreciable increase in sharpness. In most cases it's just waste of time.
    I would recommend some of these "premium proof paper" like ORIS PearlPROOFâ„¢ Super or EFI CertProof Paper 6225XF (just for example, there should be much more "premium" papers) on high resolution (because quality of coating matters). If there is no slight change, forget this problem...
    Head alingnment also should be checked.

+ Reply to Thread