+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: EFI Colorproof XF how to

Donor djah is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T. Schruda View Post
    im looking for some help or exchange with someone familiar in building a CMYK+RGB profile for the EFI XF with profile maker.. to get the largest gamut for printing photos..

any one here?
    The only things I know is if you want to print photos, use photoshop with icc profile for the paper you want to use made with profilemaker, and forget EFI XF... To me, EFI colorproof XF is really dedicated to prepress because with a rip you can print with a real CMYK mode (not a cmyk file printed on rgb mode) ... Another thing, it is useless to want to build CMYK + RGB profile for printing photos because the largest gamuts are in RGB, not in CMYK.. A CMYK gamut is smaller than a RGB gamut
    so if you want to print photos, forget CMYK mode and use photshop + profilmaker, you will have the best results possible with these 2 software ... good luck !

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djah For This Useful Post:

Donor daniboyweb is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    there is a guide in the Efi's cdrom step by step with all their functions. It's a bit long, but It's not dificult.

Donor kospe is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    many thanks to all. Another question: when I do a new linearization, then I have to repeat all processes? Or is it sufficient to link the media profile and the optimization to the new .epl?

Many thanks

aaron125
    Quote Originally Posted by djah View Post
    The only things I know is if you want to print photos, use photoshop with icc profile for the paper you want to use made with profilemaker, and forget EFI XF... To me, EFI colorproof XF is really dedicated to prepress because with a rip you can print with a real CMYK mode (not a cmyk file printed on rgb mode) ... Another thing, it is useless to want to build CMYK + RGB profile for printing photos because the largest gamuts are in RGB, not in CMYK.. A CMYK gamut is smaller than a RGB gamut so if you want to print photos, forget CMYK mode and use photshop + profilmaker, you will have the best results possible with these 2 software ... good luck !
    Have you ever actually tried to create a CMYK+RGB profile djah? You really should actually have some understanding of what it is you are telling people is the wrong way to go. If you want the utmost control & the absolute greatest & largest gamut, you must use some sort of multi-channel profile, definitely not RGB. With RGB there is absolutely no possible way you can control the actual inks in the printer - it can ONLY be done using a CMYK+n profile.

ProfileMaker Pro really gives some quite horrible RGB printer profiles when compared to many apps on the market, especially its stablemate, MonacoPROFILER 4.8. PROFILER produces far better RGB printer profiles with much smoother transitions & has the ability to custom control the amount of gamut compression in both the L & ab directions. And the new i1 Profiler absolutely wipes the floor with PROFILER & ProfileMaker, the profiles are so much better in every single way possible.

EFI XF is not just a proofing RIP, hence the very reason there is the option when installing & setting up a printer to use either RGB, contone or halftone if the printer supports it. Furthermore, a selection must be made as to whether the profile is to be optimized for either proofing or photographic output.

Please don't be so quick to completely write something off when it is quite obvious you don't actually understand what it is you are saying. I'm not trying to be rude or insult you (so please don't take it that way), I'm just trying to give a very quick explanation of why one would definitely want to try to create a CMYK+RGB profile if their printer actually has CMYK+RGB inks in it (newer Canon, HP, etc.).

For the absolute ultimate in control, gamut, detail & EVERYTHING, have a look at Serendipity Black Magic and/or MegaRIP. Surprisingly, MegaRIP is actually their photographic oriented RIP, not Black Magic. But both give the absolute highest level of control possible, bar none, for all photographic inkjet printers.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aaron125 For This Useful Post:

Junior Member poiupoiu is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

print full page

anyone having the same problem as me? where you cant get 4.0 to print full page?

PRC Member congproprint will become famous soon enough congproprint's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by seratne View Post
    It's a bit confusing but simple.
    Create a new device for your printer
    Create linearization
    Create media profile
    Optimize media profile

Actually after you start the linearization process it will guide you through all of the other steps.
    and it is needed a densitometter.

Donor lucaferr is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Can I use Colorproof XF with RGB printers not listed in the supported printers list, such as a Canon Pixma? Will I have to use TIFF output instead?

aaron125
    Unsupported printers are unable to be used (no surprises there). Not sure what you are asking about using TIFF output as all it does is output the job to a TIFF file to be saved on HDD, flash media, etc. instead of sending the output to a printer. It's analagous to selecting Save As [TIFF] in photoshop instead of selecting Print.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron125 View Post
    Unsupported printers are unable to be used (no surprises there). Not sure what you are asking about using TIFF output as all it does is output the job to a TIFF file to be saved on HDD, flash media, etc. instead of sending the output to a printer. It's analagous to selecting Save As [TIFF] in photoshop instead of selecting Print.
    I was thinking if it is possible to colorproof using supported calibration hardware and using RGB printer mode. Hence just dumping the TIFF file through the normal Windows queue without color management might work?

aaron125
    Again, I'm still not really understanding your questions & what exactly you are trying to do; proof? profile? print? something else?

Quote Originally Posted by lucaferr View Post
    I was thinking if it is possible to colorproof using supported calibration hardware and using RGB printer mode. Hence just dumping the TIFF file through the normal Windows queue without color management might work?
    When you ask "if it is possible to colorproof using supported calibration hardware and using RGB printer mode" what do you actually mean? Do you want to proof/simulate some device (press, etc) on your RGB/photo printer?

Then, "dumping the TIFF file through the normal Windows queue without color management might work?" what TIFF file are you referring to? A photo, a linearization/profile target, 1-bit TIFF, none of these? If you are pushing anything through the normal Windows [print?] queue, presumably that has absolutely nothing to do with any RIP, but how are you getting your file into this "normal Windows queue"? Finally, what might work without colour management?

I'm really SO lost now, because as far as I understand, you have some unknown TIFF, going through 'normal Windows queue' with no colour management works perfectly or fails completely? I'm really trying to understand what it is you are trying to achieve or just what you are trying to do but I have no idea where you're even heading?

I'm happy to help you sort out whatever problems you might have but please tell me what your desired outcome is or what exactly you are trying to accomplish.

13. Your ad here

Thanks
    Sorry guys, I'm a bit confused with some of these printing functions.

I was hoping to use this software for its built in profiling support for my dated profiling hardware (DTP20). Also, I want to use the hot folder support to simply drop JPG/TIFF images in there over the network and don't have to worry about printer driver settings every time a photo is printed (for example having the photo resampled for optimal print resolution). Also, the photo printer I'm using hates the network and I have found no easy way to have it networked (usbip.sf.net over an OpenWrt router being the best of a bunch of bad solutions). So, in summary, neglecting this is actually RIP software, can I use it in a pure RGB workflow for its print-server and color profiling functions?

Again, I understand I'm in deep water when it comes to the RIP and proofing functions, which I'm clearly ignorant of and I really don't want to waste anybody's time - so sorry for that.
    Last edited by lucaferr; 07-11-2011 at 04:38 AM. Reason: resampled not resized

Junior Member AlexG is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I was hoping to use this software for its built in profiling support for my dated profiling hardware (DTP20).
    I think, it's impossible because XF cannot create RGB icc profiles. You can take measurements in XRite COlor Port (freeware) and make RGB icc profiles in any other profiling software.

Also, I want to use the hot folder support to simply drop JPG/TIFF images in there over the network and don't have to worry about printer driver settings every time a photo is printed (for example having the photo resampled for optimal print resolution). Also, the photo printer I'm using hates the network and I have found no easy way to have it networked (usbip.sf.net over an OpenWrt router being the best of a bunch of bad solutions). So, in summary, neglecting this is actually RIP software, can I use it in a pure RGB workflow for its print-server and color profiling functions?
    To use it in such workflow you need to find a solution for printing to your printer. I think, you can use some batch printing utility, which takes TIFF file from folder and send it to system printer. I don't remember exactly the name, but I believe there are some of such utilities even for free. After that you can set up Colorproof XF TIFF output device to that folder and you will get complete workflow with all XF input features, spot colors and icc color management. But you will not get linearization feature in such workflow.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank's Alex, that answers my question! I'll look in to your suggestions, if you come across such software it'd be great to hear about it.

Junior Member kb24 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jungpow View Post
    How would you compare EFI Colorproof with Founder EagleProof in terms of
    color accuracy and ease of use? Does anyone here have experience on both?
    efi is better in all, nobody uses anything else in our country and it gets great feedbacks from clients.

Junior Member AlexG is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Thank's Alex, that answers my question! I'll look in to your suggestions, if you come across such software it'd be great to hear about it.
    I took a look but cannot find the free one. I found only shareware like this one:
    http://www.softsea.com/review/Hot-Folder-Printer.html

But I remember that some years ago I've seen freeware with the same functionality. But cannot find it, sorry...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast