+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Custom manual subjective color profiles without matching.

Junior Member mtb_ro is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Custom manual subjective color profiles without matching.

Owning several Printcenters in Bucharest, Romania I have a really big issue with many clients coming in and wanting their documents printed with other colors then what they have in their home-made-beginner word / pdf / jpg file.

The issue is that there is no specific "target" for what they wish, and no specific request and lots of times it's frustrating trying to get things d.

What would help me a lot would be some kind of a solution that can print a quick matrix of "adjusted/differently calibrated" versions of a print where the customer selects the they like.

I have this with the large format printers, but it would be really helpful if there was some kind of universal solution that could be used for copiers, photo-printers and large formats. RIP quality and performance is not that important as high end clients know what they need from the start.

It is also important for the solution to be somewhat simple as employees are not really print professionals but rather standard-task operators.

thank you very much
    Tibi

PRC Member ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hello tibi,

Why not to use Photoshop for applying color correction presets/actions/etc.? I mean presets like "Warmer", "Darker", "MoreSaturated", etc. Such sample can be printed or displayed on a calibrated monitor.
    Cheers,
    CW

Thanks
    That's a good solution in itself and probably in line with what I'd personally do. However the issue here is that what I need would require:

1. no knowledge or understanding of advanced graphics / colors - just a click and see solution
    2. clients come mostly with multipage PDF and word files - so the color adjustment needs to be d quickly and in a large volume - this is why ICC profiles would do the trick best.

PRC Member ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard is a glorious beacon of light ColorWizard's Avatar
    Thanks
    1. Create a set of icc profiles, using, for example, X-Rite Profile Editor.
    2. To see a result in a click, use a softproofing solution like Acrobat softproof, SMARtt or any other.
    3. Convert to choosed icc profile as a proof profile (input->proof->output profile). To minimize human factor use a colorserver such as ZePrA, ICC Profile Processor or any other.
    4. Print using output profile.
    Cheers,
    CW

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ColorWizard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank You for Your answer. I must admit I'm half-way lost in this solution as I'm not accustomed to either some of this software or the proposed workflow. I'll start looking into this as a possible solution.

In the meantime ... is there any way to do this with just a single RIP or software?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_ro View Post
    Thank You for Your answer. I must admit I'm half-way lost in this solution as I'm not accustomed to either some of this software or the proposed workflow. I'll start looking into this as a possible solution.

In the meantime ... is there any way to do this with just a single RIP or software?
    If I understood you correctly, you are looking for a solution which will allows you to make a quick pre-defined correction to the custom files. As you menti0ned, this solution has to be easy to use for non-pro users and should be able to work with multi-page PDF files.
    In this case, IMHO, the better way would be:
    • Incorporate into an output or working icc profile predefined corrections (saturated, darker, lighter, etc.) using any of available/capable icc editing tool. For this purpose you may use Profile Editor from X-Rite Profile Maker.
    • Created the set of icc profiles will allows you quickly (in a click) to selecet best suited predefined correction even for multipage PDFs. For this puprose you may use Output Preview option of Adobe Acrobat with well calibrated display or, as an option, you may take a look at SMARtt (http://smartt.softproofware.eu/) solution wich incorporates monitor calibration tool + PDF viewer. Anyway, for quick reviewing of how file will looks after correction you should use any of available softproofing options/tools. Or you may print them if you wish.
    • Once the icc profile with best suited correction has been finally choosed you should apply it using appropriate tool. Taking into account the simplicity of the solution for a user, I would recommend you to use a hotfolder based tool which would be able to work with icc profiles. For example: Enfocus PitStop Server, ColorLogic ZePrA, Bodoni inkWIZE, alomost any RIP, etc. For every combination of "input + color correction icc profiles" you should created 0ne hotfolder. Such a tool should make a converstion from input icc profile to color correction icc profile.
    In short the workflow may looks like this:
    1. Open user file (for example in Adobe Acrobat).
    2. Use embedded (don't ignore it) icc profile or suggest 0ne as an input icc profile.
    3. Use Acrobat output preview to choose best suited color correction icc profile.
    4. Convert file to choosed icc profile. Embed it into the file.
    5. Output to printer using embeded icc profile as input profile and printer icc profile as output profile.

From colormanagement point of view, the workflow looks like this:
    input/suggested icc profile -> colorcast/correction icc profile -> output/printer icc profile

Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    CW

Banned pinktank is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    You can write a fairly simple photoshop action that gives you a colorwheel with slightly modified versions of the photo

+ Reply to Thread