+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Convert data from non-Monaco targets to Monaco Profiler LAB

Donor Thom is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Convert data from non-Monaco targets to Monaco Profiler LAB

Does anyone know how to use ConvertToMonacoLAB

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/i1ConvertToMonacoLAB/index.html

or any other method to convert target data other than Bill Atkinson's 1728 or 4096 patch targets. I'd like to use custom targets based on data generated from i1Profiler or a similar tool. I could use either Colorport or Measure Tool to read the measurements (unless someone has a better suggestion). I'd like to use custom target sizes, but I could settle for creating only 4096 patch targets if necessary.

My objective is to be able to generate RGB profiles with multiple applications, such as Monaco Profiler, ProfileMaker, and i1Profiler.

I'll be reading the targets with a SpectroScan, so the workflow must be compatible with it.

Member PanozJani is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Helo

I'd recommend Argyll's tools.

Code:
    Only the registered members can see the download links/content. pleaseĀ Register to gain full access.
    There is also a very nice utility from Babelcolor called Patchtool which helps in converting between various layouts and formats.

Junior Member AlexG is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    I'd like to use custom target sizes, but I could settle for creating only 4096 patch targets if necessary.
    My objective is to be able to generate RGB profiles with multiple applications, such as Monaco Profiler, ProfileMaker, and i1Profiler.
    As I know, it's not possible to load any custom targets to Monaco.
    This ConvertToMonacoLAB just extract Monaco's native 1728 patches from Bill Atkinson's 4096 patches and rearrange it.

So the only way for you to use one measurement's set to build ICC profiles in all three programs is to use native Monaco's 1728 patches testform.

Both ProfileMaker and iProfiler will allow you to make profiles from this 1728 patches set also.

Thanks

Thanks

Thank you both for your help.

PanozJani, I've looked into Patchtool and I'm considering purchasing it. It looks quite useful. I have Argyll CMS, but so far only have used it for monitor profiling.

AlexG, I haven't yet tried converting measurements from Bill Atkinson's 4096 patch target. When I went to measure Bill's Spectroscan targets they didn't match up to his reference data, at least in the measurement tool I was using (I think I was using ColorPort). I'll have to re-create the charts if I want to try it.

I didn't know it would still produce only 1728 patches as input to Monaco Profiler. Do you have any more information on how this conversion works, since the numbers don't all match up?

Thanks
    I didn't know it would still produce only 1728 patches as input to Monaco Profiler. Do you have any more information on how this conversion works, since the numbers don't all match up?
    I tried to convert measurements of 4096 patches and I got Monaco file with 1728 measurements only.
    So you will waste your time if you will use 4096 patches with ConvertToMonacoLABPublicWin utility, because you will get only 1728 patches in Monaco.

Thanks
    Thanks AlexG. I've decided to use the 1728 patch targets if I want to use Monaco Profiler, and my larger patch sets if I'll be using something else.

In the near future I may still attempt to, for example, down convert my 4000+ patch target data if I wish to use one set of data for multiple profile creation tools. Do you have any idea where I might look for more info on this?

Thanks
    In the near future I may still attempt to, for example, down convert my 4000+ patch target data if I wish to use one set of data for multiple profile creation tools. Do you have any idea where I might look for more info on this?
    You can try to do it with ColorLab (it's old Logo company utility, you still can find it on X-Rite web site). There was a possibility to make a measurements file of small testchart from the big one. But it's necessary the small chart to be a subset of the big one.
    Look for ColorLab 2.7.7, it contains the manual and it works more correct than the latest 2.8.3.

Another way to downconvert from one testchart to another is to create ultra quality icc profile from it and to convert your new testchart values to Lab using this profile.
    I'm usually using ArgyllCMS with -qu key for creating icc profiles for such tricks, and ColorLab for CMYK/RGB to Lab convertion.

+ Reply to Thread