+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ColorMunki, Spyder Print 3 SR or save for i1 for 7900 profiling?

PRC Member moutonnoir is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Question ColorMunki, Spyder Print 3 SR or save for i1 for 7900 profiling?

Hi!

I am waiting on an epson 7900 and trying to prepare on the software side.

What would you guys do for profiling the 7900 and my Dell u3011? I currently have a huey pro, but it seems like and probably is a toy..

I am reading lots of reviews of both the Spyder print and colormunki, and my intuition is to go with the spyder print sr or save for the i1.. At this moment $ is tight trying to save for more ink!

printer will be used almost entirely for graphic design and illustration\presentation posters\corporate communications.. Sometimes pantone colors will be important, and other times cmyk and others rgb..

Thanks!

pir8mack
    If your after CMYK then colormunki or 1I is what you need as the spider does not support CMYK profiles.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pir8mack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ah.. Crazy... Totally aimed at only photographers... Weird and completely disappointing.

Is there much\any 3rd party software to use ColorMunki with, or does one need a i1 or other device to get much support?

Given the software 'available on the forums, is there a device that has a great combo of hardware cost and software to use with it?

Primary commercial use is graphic design, packaging design and industrial design stuff =- often with Pantone colors.. And then still more CMYK centric stuff like presentation posters, marketing materials for self promotion and so on.. Way at the end of the list is the desire to use it for some photo and fine art hobby\side interest stuff which may well be RGB.

Thanks for the tip - I did read that spyderPrint was RGB only, but it did not really sink in.

Hmmm.. Any device that can profile paper and ideally also monitors that is below the 1i's $1k price but worth using?

Member ColorProofer is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Go for the i1.

There are often offers at eBay way below your price target.

You can get the missing software here or use the ArgyllCms.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ColorProofer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ColorProofer View Post
    Go for the i1.

There are often offers at eBay way below your price target.

You can get the missing software here or use the ArgyllCms.
    Yeah... The command line nature of Argyll is a pretty big turn off to me - i partially bought this machine (the 7900) to improve my 'industry standard color management abilities and experience'. Argyll may be fairly widespread, but i want to try EFI or Harlequin or Wastak or Onyx or similar.. Even esko maybe..

I am having trouble discerning between the various editions of the i1pro - they appear to be priced from around $700 to around $2000 depending on software.

Is iProfiler with all the modules available here somewhere? I see EFI is here, but I have to converse more with you guys before I can just try it ;)

Junior Member vmannello is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Highly suggest the i1pro. Mate that with some "educational software" found here and you'll have stunning profiles...

Member ColorProofer is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    There are two different GUI components available for ArgyllCMS - so no need for command line values.

If you want to use iProfiler yo have to go for the version which offers the modules you want - there is at the moment no "cure" available for iProfiler.

But if you are going to use Argyll, Monaco Profiler, Profilemaker, .... you can grab the cheapest one (as long it's revision B or D)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ColorProofer For This Useful Post:

dubhead
    Recommending i1Pro too...if u frequently check/validate your Outputdevices with it you will be a happy User.

Junior Member sunmage is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Suggest the i1 Photo Pro for RGB Profiling. (If you need CMYK Profiling, you all use i1 Publish)

ColorMunki is good thing. but not Best.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sunmage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sunmage View Post
    Suggest the i1 Photo Pro for RGB Profiling. (If you need CMYK Profiling, you all use i1 Publish)

ColorMunki is good thing. but not Best.
    Yeah.. I am going to get an i1 Pro - cannot afford the i1 Publish at this point...

I am looking at an i1 basic and then using a RIP\Profiler for everything and avoiding the expensive, not-cracked x-rite software - I cannot spend $900 on iPublish.. Wish I could , but the availability of ArgyllCMS means if worst comes to worst i will be using Argyll with an i1..
    PrintRoot is sweet

15. Your ad here

Thanks
    There are two different GUI components available for ArgyllCMS - so no need for command line values.

If you want to use iProfiler yo have to go for the version which offers the modules you want - there is at the moment no "cure" available for iProfiler.

But if you are going to use Argyll, Monaco Profiler, Profilemaker, .... you can grab the cheapest one (as long it's revision B or D)
    Yeah - i have come to the conclusion i will end up with monaco or profilemaker or argyll with a 1iPro and a RIP of some sort. I currently only have onyx working in educational mode, but it appears to only have RGB profiles for the epson papers with my Epson 7900.. So I will be looking for a more CMYK-Epson friendly RIP if I ever get allowed into the rest of the site!
    PrintRoot is sweet

aaron125

There is a patched version of i1Profiler but it is device dependant as the patch has the i1 serial in it.

Also, there is nothing wrong with Rev A i1Pro devices. I bought mine brand-new about 5 years ago and it is still just as accurate as Rev D devices I have used on loan from a shop. Why do you suggest to only use Rev B or Rev D?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to aaron125 For This Useful Post:

Junior Member AlexG is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moutonnoir View Post
    Yeah - i have come to the conclusion i will end up with monaco or profilemaker or argyll with a 1iPro and a RIP of some sort. I currently only have onyx working in educational mode, but it appears to only have RGB profiles for the epson papers with my Epson 7900.. So I will be looking for a more CMYK-Epson friendly RIP
    ONYX RIPs can drive Epson 7900 as CMYK without any problems. Just select Photo CT driver (Media configuration name in the right bar) instead of RGB Photo ones. If you have no such driver in the list, then you can download it from ONYX site by ONYX profile download manager.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexG For This Useful Post:

aaron125
    Alex, if there are NO 7900 profiles in CMYK, how is one supposed to download such a profile, if they do not exist? You even contradict yourself when you say that "If you have no such driver in the list, then you can download it from ONYX site by ONYX profile download manager." HOW???

If there is no CMYK driver in the profile download manager list, how can one possibly download such a driver if it isn't even there?

moutonnoir - I've found a CMYK profile for you which should work ok but don't know how you'd go about using it as the profile downlaod manager also creates the printer install file. The 4900 has one CMYK profile listed in the profile download manager for v10.1 but like I said, dunno how you'd go about using it.

I think for your needs, you might be better off just using EFI XF 4.5.1 as there are HEAPS of CMYK profiles already made for the 7900 and it is quite easy to make some of your own, once you get your i1.

Regarding the Spyder and others, DO NOT waste your time with them. Stick with the i1Pro as none of the others you mention are as capable or even worthwhile for what you want to do. What I would strongly suggest you also buy is the new i1display3 (AKA i1displayPro) for screen profiling only. It is heads and shoulders above anything else available for under $1000 and it only costs $250 retail. It is heaps better for screen profiling than the i1Pro and the only thing commonly available that really surpasses it atm is the BasICColor Discus, but that's a device which costs in excess of $1000(!!).

I reckon you'd be best off to grab one of the cheap i1Pro's from ebay for around $250, grab an i1d3 for another $250 and start using XF 4.5.1 and I think you'll find it more than sufficient for your needs. Don't worry about the fact that the i1's on ebay are the UVcut version, if you don't use papers with FWA in them it doesn't matter anyway. If you do use papers with FWA, just while you're starting out and learning, it also won't cause you any issues or major headaches.

Just something to think about. BTW, what screen are you using?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to aaron125 For This Useful Post:

Junior Member AlexG is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron125 View Post
    Alex, if there are NO 7900 profiles in CMYK, how is one supposed to download such a profile, if they do not exist? You even contradict yourself when you say that "If you have no such driver in the list, then you can download it from ONYX site by ONYX profile download manager." HOW???
    If there is no CMYK driver in the profile download manager list, how can one possibly download such a driver if it isn't even there?
    But I have it installed on my ONYX 10.1! So it was on distributive ISO! That's why I recomendert to try to download it.

But now I took a look to profile download manager and I see, that there is no Photo CT driver there definetely. It's look like a bug, I don't know...

24. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexG For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast