+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ColorMunki Design

Junior Member jperlano is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

ColorMunki Design

Can I use ColorMunki Design for ICC profiling? Thanks!

Junior Member jivemofo is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    i've heard that it's good for matching an unknown build (lab values) of a sample, but not so great at profiling. i've never used , but this is what i've been told by our printer rep. wonder if he's bs'ing.

Junior Member ZhuJo is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    it depends on what you want to achieve. For simple display and RGB printer profiling (NOT calibration/linearization) it works great. Good for freelancer.

However, if you need to calibrate and profile your proofing system or anything driven by RIP and printing to CMYK, it's absolutely unusable. Not because of hardware, but software. Every RIP and color profiling suite takes i1Pro as a standard, thus, Colormunki is unsupported.

If you want linearization and profiling of anything bigger as is your home ink-jet printer, you should buy i1Pro, without UV Cut.

Look at eBay, used i1Pro's Rev. C/D can be obtained for quite a low price.
    Make sure adequate software is provided - not only for RGB profiling, but also for CMYK profiling.
    Also, take into account that software for these revisions of i1Pro would likely NOT work with Intel Mac with Mac OS X 10.7 and newever, as it's PowerPC only.

Also, check if packaging is complete – i1Pro spectro, suitcase with ruler for printer profiling & display holder, scanner calibration target, certificate of i1Pro calibration.

As I have mentid above, good profiling software is a must. Go with i1Profiler, BasICColor Catcher&Print if you own a Mac. If you own a PC, you can use older, but good, Monaco Profiler, Profilemaker – these doesn't work with Mac OS X anymore.

Junior Member tatayoyo is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Bargain

ColorMunki is may be less accurate than an I1Pro2 but it's a very good hardware.
    It could be a bargain if you use it with open source software like Argyll and cheap software like QTR RIP.
    ColorMunki can be associated with BabelColor and basICColor.
    You'll have the best spectro software and the best display profiler of the market.

The advantage of I1Pro2 is the integrated all in and no breaking head, I1Profiler.

Junior Member ZhuJo is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Well, ColorMunki is spectrophotometer and as such, it works on same principle as i1Pro. It doesn't measure o as wide frequency scale as i1Pro, however.

What's the problem is that it's software is not so suitable for production enviroment, but it's more for a hobby, freelancers.

You can bypass this problem with Agryll, but personally, I don't like to scratch my head every time I want to linearize and profile RIP driven system. Agryll is command line only. I have no problem writing my own shell scripts, but in this case, I want just measure and print.

Also, rotation wheel on ColorMunki sucks bad time. That's pretty stupid and I disliked it much for this – sometimes, it's pretty hard to turn the wheel to other measurement mode.

I wote for older i1Pro from eBay for this reason. Get a copy of BasICColor Catch & Print (and Display for monitor) or ProfileMaker and go.

Donor TPJozsef is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    As I was searching a few months ago for printer linearization solutions with argyll with i1pro I came across a few tutorials for color munki.
    Hope these help:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RoxKe7cBvQ
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3174601

Thanks

Colormunki I1Pro2 ?

If you are just in budget you can buy only the hardware I1Pro2 (In UK a video profiler reseller) and find (:-) a copy of a software suite (I1Profiler, PM, BasICColor, PrintOpen...)

I'm an enthusiast broken hobbist and was my way.

Thanks

Juste the hardware

I forget Argyll open source software. If you hate the CLI you have some GUI for Argyll.
    For exemple I use for scanner CoCa, a simple Argyll GUI.

+ Reply to Thread