+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Color management for a print house

Junior Member ecrm is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Color management for a print house

Hello,

To all the guru out there. May I know what is the best approach to implement color management system for a print house?

Obviously they have a lot of printing machine and support a variety of printing method. They also have a wide range of material (stock / paper) and doing both CMYK + sport color print. It look like a great project but where should we start?

Thanks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ecrm For This Useful Post:

Junior Member mfy2010 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    the device's stability is the most importment;
    and then decide which standard is best for your production;
    last, take color management for your devices according to the standard.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mfy2010 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi,

Thanks for replying.
    Just to clarify. Are you referring "device" as the printing press machine or the computer monitor or ..... ?

Thanks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ecrm For This Useful Post:

jox
    Donor jox is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Device stability means: stability of the the whole manufacturing architecture
    including
    01: the printing machine
    02: the paper
    03: the paint
    and all pre-press units etc.

These devices/materials are expensive. In case of real color management up to the manufacturing you have to increase your prices by 30% or more. If it is worth doing, depends on your customers' need. An average customer is not interested in exact color reproduction but in low prices.

Even if you spent millions on color management, you wouldn't always be able to produce the same colors because the human eye is able to perceive even small color deviations.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jox For This Useful Post:

Member PanozJani is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    IMO the bottleneck is the uneducated staff. First the management should understand the benefits of controlled quality, and that the investment will return in form of customer satisfaction, less waste, fast problem solving...
    So educate management first, then the personnel. Learn the standards - if they can't be used in your case define in-house standards (and tolerances!). Also educate your customers - they'll be more tied to you!
    Of course stability of the printing is important so you must take care of your machines according to manufacturers recommendations, use the appropriate chemicals, water conditioning, humidifying, etc. but in the end your efforts will be rewarding.
    good luck!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PanozJani For This Useful Post:

Junior Member sakharov is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Actually color management should be the part of quality management for your print house.
    One of our customers (big photo lab with 8 branches) recalibrate their printers at list once per day. They try to store all papers, inks and other expendable materials in standard conditions (temperature, humidity). They train their staff on regular basis. Even in this situation they have from time to time some customer complaints.
    So, real world color management is real challenge :-)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sakharov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PanozJani View Post
    IMO the bottleneck is the uneducated staff. First the management should understand the benefits of controlled quality, and that the investment will return in form of customer satisfaction, less waste, fast problem solving...
    So educate management first, then the personnel. Learn the standards - if they can't be used in your case define in-house standards (and tolerances!). Also educate your customers - they'll be more tied to you!
    Of course stability of the printing is important so you must take care of your machines according to manufacturers recommendations, use the appropriate chemicals, water conditioning, humidifying, etc. but in the end your efforts will be rewarding.
    good luck!

Educate people and make them change or adopt to changes is a hard process
    been there, done that

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ecrm For This Useful Post:

Junior Member jonl8038 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    on my point of view it think its best to get a fogra certified or a company that deals with color management to work with your company to setup a good workflow,

http://www.kayellaustralia.com.au....i recommand this company because they are color expert, but i do not know if they support your country.

Junior Member Gunchie is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Color management is need many parameters, standart all machines, measurement, etc.
    If your company has many suppliers printing machines, this situation are make dificult to take profile machines. We all know to create a series of files up to printing products, is a chain that requires synergy that exists with both. If we all want is WYCWYG (what you see what you get). If you have been able to profile a printing machine, in synchronous with CtP and soft proofing. Hope this into consideration before determining wear GMG color management, EFI, Oris, etc.

aaron125

Wtf???

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    Color management is need many parameters, standart all machines, measurement, etc.
    If your company has many suppliers printing machines, this situation are make dificult to take profile machines. We all know to create a series of files up to printing products, is a chain that requires synergy that exists with both. If we all want is WYCWYG (what you see what you get). If you have been able to profile a printing machine, in synchronous with CtP and soft proofing. Hope this into consideration before determining wear GMG color management, EFI, Oris, etc.
    I don't know about anyone else here, but I could not understand anything at all which you tried to explain in your post. What exactly is the point you were trying to make? What info did you want to share with us?

If English is not your first language, please type in your language ot google translate or any other tranlation website to translate to English so that we may all understand and benefit from your posts.

18. Your ad here

Junior Member Gunchie is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron125 View Post
    I don't know about anyone else here, but I could not understand anything at all which you tried to explain in your post. What exactly is the point you were trying to make? What info did you want to share with us?

If English is not your first language, please type in your language ot google translate or any other tranlation website to translate to English so that we may all understand and benefit from your posts.
    aaron, sorry if my english is not good, until you understand less. I have to say that if you want good results from the use of color management will require some support criteria and are all connected properly. and there are periodic measurements

Donor Subfusion is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    This has been an eye opener this post. I am just starting color management at our print house and WOW did i know nothing before. There is sooo much to learn and even then you know even less.
    All I can say it it seems unless you are 100% regiment and "Anal" real color management cannot be achieved (by real i mean true print to screen match)
    I have come to the conclusion that I will try for the best I can with what I have and talk with confidence on the colors we cannot reproduce to clients.

Ignorance is usually the main problem I face.

Ohh and lol at the English fo pars a few posts before, gave me a good laugh :D

Thanks
    To me color management and getting consistent color from the press in every run is always a tough one. There are so many variable that might have contribute to the inconsistency. Color mixing, plate exposing, humidity, temperature and more importantly operator eye and mood.

To be honest, sometime I doesn't even know what to do because I simply I doesn't know what went wrong.

Cheers,

Junior Member mydeli is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Thanks about sharing

tru
    Junior Member tru is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Is it possible to have this explained by an example?
    Let say I need to send a roll-up design to a printshop, the media will be some sort of polyester, what setting will I use in my color profile in Illustrator for this file?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast