+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Color management how to HELP

Donor h3ndrix is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Color management how to HELP

Hey ppl,

I need some help as I am somewhat new to this. Let me explain what I am trying to do so I can get some useful advice from you guys.

I currently own these:

- i1 meter (EFi ES-1000)
    - HP Designjet 90r
    - HP LP2475w monitor
    - Win 7 x64

What I want to do is really simple to explain. I want to be able to print what I see on the screen from the printer as close as possible to what I see on the screen. I most do amateur photo work and print for myself, so this isnt pro work.

The question is how do I go about doing this? I downloaded many apps from here including Wasatch, Colorgate, basiccolor and I own i1profiler (monitor only) and can calibrate a monitor but, calibrating a printer to a monitor is not something I know how to do. I don't really understand how the RIP's work and how I am supposed to go about getting what I see on the monitor to print with color management. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by h3ndrix; 03-29-2012 at 01:49 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to h3ndrix For This Useful Post:

Junior Member vmannello is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    In the simplest terms, if your monitor is profiled and your printer is profiled, then your prints will match the screen to the best of your monitor's/printer's ability. For instance your monitor will likely have a wider gamut then your printer, thus it will be able to display colors that go beyond your printers capabilities. This is why standardized colorspaces and profiles came about. Gracol for instance is a typical CMYK working profile. If your monitor has the ability to show every color available in Gracol, and your printer can print every color in gracol, then your prints will match your monitor. To achieve this you are going to want to build some accurate profiles for your printer and monitor, and compare them against some working profiles to determine the standards you would like to use for your workflow. Hopefully you are using CS in which case you can open bridge and set up your color defaults. The standard profile isn't a necessity but it will make your life much easier. Note that anytime you open an image you'll want to make sure it is converted to your working space. This may result in some inconsistencies when dealing with photographers that use massive gamuts, etc... Ultimately you have all the tools necessary to create a document from scratch that matches your monitor when printed from your printer. Using external resources such as client submitted art will take some experience and a little reading... Lots of info available in these forums.

Thanks
    thanks.

The problem is, I guess, I cant figure out how to profile my printer in the right way. I don't understand the process exactly and I was not able to find a step-by-step on this. I only have the drivers for my printer and no PS drivers.
    -Do I let, for example, Photoshop manage the colors or do I let my printer manage the colors when I am profiling?
    -Do I use perceptive or relative chromatic, or something else?
    -How to I print the profiling target, do I use a RIP or the printers drivers when I am printer the profiling targets for the first time to measure them?

These are all a big mystery to me. Need help in these parts. Thanks.

Junior Member vmannello is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Sorry, didn't mean to over simplify!!

So from a little research it appears that EFI is the RIP of choice for this printer. But any of the other RIPs you mentioned that you downloaded will work.

What you will want to do is have all of your programs default to the printer handling the color management. The curve ball there is that you will want to set up the RIP software as the printer. So instead of printing to the HP you are actually printing to the RIP, with no color management prior, the RIP will then apply all of your lin and profile settings and output to the HP.

See if you can get your hands on a RIP, these forums are great for such a thing, and then we can start there. Each RIP is a touch different in how you go about profiling and such, but honestly most of them are pretty straight forward. Just remember to have the printer handle ALL of your color matching, and your printer, as in what you choose when you select "File -> Print" is actually the RIP. The other way to do this, is save out a file from your design program and load that file into your RIP. Seems like the first method I outlined is more similar to the workflow you already have established.

Keep this thread updated with what RIP you choose and we can wonder down that rabbit hole as needed.

Member ColorProofer is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    It really depends on what software you are going to use.

e.g. iPublish will guide you through the hole process.
    But you can start withArgyllCMS - there are a lot of tutorials in the web how to proceed.

Thanks
    Would love to use i1publish, but the i1 pro that I have requires a serial for i1diagnostic to work with printing and I dont have such a serial, if anyone wants to share:) that would be great.

In terms of RIP, I tried using wasatch, but the one shared on the forum does not have my printer in its list. I currently own a HP Designjet 90r (the r is for roll feeding) and I cant seem to get it to work with my printer as it doesnt see it as a 6 color inkjet. The EFI doesnt work because I use a 64 bit system and server doesnt work on 64 bit systems. So, I am at a loss right now. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread