+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bugs in Rips..EFI.. colorgate

Donor T. Schruda is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Bugs in Rips..EFI.. colorgate

as i spent NUMEROUS hours with installing RIPs and wasting papers i would like to give a briefs review here to help others and collect their opinion.

i decided to start with EFI because of some advantages.. but the bugs are just killing me.

they have that dynamic wedge idea.. great i think! only works on a single page tho. took me 6 hours to find out that it is not working with a nesting (although it should)

i had everything set up perfect to deltaE 1 with my Z3200ps.. even though i calibrate it every morning.. im off around dE 5 now!.. not sure why..

when i do the relin with EFI it gets me an average of dE 56!!!.. obviously not right!

so i tried colorGate.. printed the first LIN chart for my pulse.. oops.. its printing one for the i1.. had to choose another chart.. that worked.
    printed the profile.. read it remotely.. cant read the data.. why? bug!.. had to read everything again. line by line.

rendered a profile. printed the first picture.. TOTALLY wrong colours!.. why? no idea!

i printed the optimization profile with 510 patches (thats what it says) read it.. got dE of 50 max...? why? . i counted the patches. its only got 500 on the printed chart.. why? no idea.. lol

i gave up!

PRC Member lessbones is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    i know first hand that EFI has a HUGE amount of bugs-- when doing profile optimizations i used to have to go into a hidden folder and drag out the new .3cc files for every iteration and put them into the non-hidden 3cc folder, then select them manually on each iteration to get it to actually change the printed data.... You'd think for the thousands of dollars charged for programs like this that they'd have a few more people doing quality control....

Donor T. Schruda is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    thats another good hint.. i will double check that!

some colorcharts for my DTP 20 just print wrong!.. its rediculous!!

and EVERY other program you can read the strips remotely and then transfer.. not with EFI.. you gota read every strip slowly.. and then ONE patch is dE 130 off!.. just of a bug.. i built my own chart with colorport, read it there and safed it and then imported with efi. then it worked!

Thanks
    well one thing i've noticed is that its almost NEVER useful to use the relinearization-- if you feel like there is a problem with your color, you'll most likely save a lot of time and effort by simply linearizing from scratch.

Also, just to make sure, when you are doing optimizations you should always check the "color" page to see whether the program is automatically switching to the corrected .3cc-- the title of it should say _opt0, _opt1, and so on-- this way you can make sure its actually doing what it is supposed to be doing

Donor Apa_Cska is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

and be carefully with optiization!

too much optimization steps can cause posterized vinettes!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Apa_Cska For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Apa_Cska View Post
    too much optimization steps can cause posterized vinettes!
    this is true-- i've noticed that 3cc files are usually the biggest cause of banding issues

Junior Member quantic is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lessbones View Post
    this is true-- i've noticed that 3cc files are usually the biggest cause of banding issues
    why optimise so much ?? it's loss of time no ? I do 1 or max 2 optimisations and usually this is enough ...

Thanks
    depends on the paper you're using-- if you're trying to hit SWOP GRACoL and FOGRA on the same paper stock for example, then you might end up doing a lot of optimizing to hit the targets... (not saying thats a good idea, but just an example)

Moderator super silja will become famous soon enough super silja's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by quantic View Post
    why optimise so much ?? it's loss of time no ? I do 1 or max 2 optimisations and usually this is enough ...
    i agree with you
    +-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-+
    |p|o|w|e|r| |t|o| |b|e| |y|o|u|r| |b|e|s|t|
    +-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-+

dubhead
    Yes with Productionserver from Colorgate upto 4 iterations for a Devicelink Profile is enough.

12. Your ad here

+ Reply to Thread