+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Abstract ICC Profile

Member Ale_Paris is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Abstract ICC Profile

Hello everybody,

this is my first post, I hope I am doing everything fine...

I am writing here because I am very interested in changing the aspect of an images using profiles and, from what I've understood so far, "abstract ICC profiles" is what I should be looking for.
    I am completely new to profiles so please excuse me in advance if I may ask some obvious questions...

First of all I haven't found much documentation online on these profiles and, apart from a tutorial featuring BasiCCOlor Demon I haven't found that much...

Maybe anybody has some useful information that I might use as a starting point?
    I know that I can create profiles even with PS but I've tried that method and it's not really user friendly for a newbie like me...there are just a bunch of numbers to be set but they don't really make sense to me...

Thank you very much!

Ale

Donor mcjam45 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    hi, as an alternative to basICColor Demon you can try the free Argyll CMS. Basically you need two tiff images, the original image and the edited version, then you create .ti3 measurement files out of these tiffs with "scain" and calculate an abstract profile out of the resulting .ti3 files using "refine".

Thanks
    Hello mcjam45,

thank you very much for your help!

To be honest I've tried to download Argyll CMS but I've never understood how to install it...I am not very good with programming and, from what I have understood, it's a program completely based on command lines.

Is there any guide for a complete beginner about how to install and use this program?

Thank you very much!

Ale

Thanks
    Also,

something that I have not really understood is if, by creating and abstract profile this way, I simply recreating the same effect that I could have done with photoshop or I am doing "something more"...

I explain myself better:
    if you create a new ICC profile based on Adobe RGB, for istance, but you change the Gamma you would increase, decrease, the luminosity of an image in a much better way than with any other tool inside the photoshop.
    Now, if I create an abstract profile that, let's say, turn my shadows a bit more blue, does it do it in a more efficient way that could do Curves or Levels in Photoshop?
    Because that's my aim!

Thank you very much!

Ale

Donor mcjam45 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    something that I have not really understood is if, by creating and abstract profile this way, I simply recreating the same effect that I could have done with photoshop or I am doing "something more"...
    Yes, you are just recreating an effect and embedding it into a profile. Basically you can achieve the same thing by creating a photoshop action.

Is there any guide for a complete beginner about how to install and use this program?
    You can find a few tutorials on www.argyllcms.com

+ Reply to Thread