+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are there any successful freelance structural designers out there?

Junior Member MSquaredDesigns is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Are there any successful freelance structural designers out there?

Hey there...

For the past couple years, I've been itching to go freelance and work for myself offering structural design services to the packaging industry. anything under 40" or so with no perimeters other then the sheet size. What's plagued my mind and kept me from moving down that road is the fact that I do not know of anyone doing this independently and being successful with it. I realize the trade can be pricey.... you have material costs, a plotter, and shipping costs that need to be paid to get samples to the clients.

Aside from the list above, what other variables come into play which may impact whether or not a freelance structural designer would be successful?

Is it supply and demand? Consistency of work available?

Enlighten me!

Mike

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MSquaredDesigns For This Useful Post:

Member jacunda will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    The biggest problem you might run in to is that most corrugated manufacturer's have designers in house and they give the services away for free. This has always been a thorn in my side that the engineering side of packaging manufacturing is just included free of charge.

I don't know any other creative service that does not charge for doing work. It might be hard to compete against a free service.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jacunda For This Useful Post:

Junior Member MSquaredDesigns is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jacunda View Post
    The biggest problem you might run in to is that most corrugated manufacturer's have designers in house and they give the services away for free. This has always been a thorn in my side that the engineering side of packaging manufacturing is just included free of charge.

I don't know any other creative service that does not charge for doing work. It might be hard to compete against a free service.
    Well, technically it is not free of charge. Most company incorporate the costs of running a CAD dept in the total cost for the job (if it were to become one). I know a lot of companies use this to their advantage when their creative department doesn't design something that will "wow" the customer. Often times the hierarchy in the company will pretend to be a customer looking for manufacturer and will send the project over there solely to get some free design work done and hopefully come up with a solution that fits the customers needs.

Although I am more of a folding carton designer rather then a corrugate designer, I have found a lot of the same tactics are true for both realms of the industry.

I posted this same questions in the general chat section to. Check it out for more responses.

Mike

http://www.printroot.com/forum/f27/there-any-successful-freelance-structural-designers-out-there-43725/

Junior Member vlajkons is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I'm just interested, what did you do at the end, and have you had any success with it?

I am from Europe, and have a same dilemma.

Banned stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold
    Thanks
    of course there are, but the search is not the most important, what is important is that meet your expectation, there may be many good, but maybe you do not like the way they work.

+ Reply to Thread