+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Hand - gluing packaging

  1. #1
    Banned eyedreamer is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts

    Hand - gluing packaging

    I have a question regarding the gluing of packaging. The situation is the following:
    The supplier manufactures the packagings and delivers them to the client as flat boxes.

    The client plans to use some of his workers to assemble the packages. The question is whether the manufacturer is somehow placing an adhesive tape which is then stripped off and glued after delivery or there are other methods of gluing? The issue is that these workers may not be s experienced and they can damage the packages in this process if it is complicated for them.

    I managed to find this product: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhxBUfXswL4 Dot Shot Pro which serves this purpose. Mabe there are even better methods.

  2. #2
    Member todesign is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 30 Times in 18 Posts

    packaging mockups

    The easiest way is to create "glue-less" packaging with a clever locking mechanism.

    I'm a Mockup artist. We specialise in short run sample packaging, NPD for photo shoot work and commercials and marketing samples.

    This is short run normally pre production work.

    It can be a very skilled job you have to avoid glue showing, dents, scuffs, picking, general grubby marks, and if your using a hot melt gun its even more difficult because you have the added pressure of trying to avoid all the above within a 20 window depending on how quickly your glue goes off, and that's without burning hands and leaving glue tales everywhere.

    For carton board / paper material we mainly use one of these to assemble packaging.



    Scotch make them.

    If its fluted packaging (brown transit box type etc...) we tend to use a hot melt glue gun.

    One really good tip for making up packaging without leaving glue showing is don't use the glue flap. Sounds daft don't it? But once you try doing it this way you won't go back. Instead apply glue or tape to the part its going to be glued too. This way if your dreadful with a tape gun your mess will be on the inside instead of the outside.
    Scotch tape is about 12cm normally most FMCG packaging comes with glue flaps bigger than that so if you wonder a little there will be none on the inside of the pack and there can't be any on the outside because you've glued from the other side. :)

    As for other types of gluing we have never really needed to use anything else. It just takes a bit of practice to roll a straight line.

    Hope this helps.




    Quote Originally Posted by eyedreamer View Post
    I have a question regarding the gluing of packaging. The situation is the following:
    The supplier manufactures the packagings and delivers them to the client as flat boxes.

    The client plans to use some of his workers to assemble the packages. The question is whether the manufacturer is somehow placing an adhesive tape which is then stripped off and glued after delivery or there are other methods of gluing? The issue is that these workers may not be s experienced and they can damage the packages in this process if it is complicated for them.

    I managed to find this product: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhxBUfXswL4 Dot Shot Pro which serves this purpose. Mabe there are even better methods.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to todesign For This Useful Post:

  4. #3
    Banned eyedreamer is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Thank you for the in-depth answer.

    I'm currently testing few locking mechanism concepts, however the structure of the packaging is quite tricky and must be 100% sure that the lock mechanism won't fall apart during transport.

    The surface area that needs to be glued at the moment is around 4x4cm (on 4 places), so they need to be precise.

    I've never met a mockup artist before. Sounds like an interesting job. Is there any website whee I can see the work of your company?


    Quote Originally Posted by todesign View Post
    The easiest way is to create "glue-less" packaging with a clever locking mechanism.

    I'm a Mockup artist. We specialise in short run sample packaging, NPD for photo shoot work and commercials and marketing samples.

    This is short run normally pre production work.

    It can be a very skilled job you have to avoid glue showing, dents, scuffs, picking, general grubby marks, and if your using a hot melt gun its even more difficult because you have the added pressure of trying to avoid all the above within a 20 window depending on how quickly your glue goes off, and that's without burning hands and leaving glue tales everywhere.

    For carton board / paper material we mainly use one of these to assemble packaging.



    Scotch make them.

    If its fluted packaging (brown transit box type etc...) we tend to use a hot melt glue gun.

    One really good tip for making up packaging without leaving glue showing is don't use the glue flap. Sounds daft don't it? But once you try doing it this way you won't go back. Instead apply glue or tape to the part its going to be glued too. This way if your dreadful with a tape gun your mess will be on the inside instead of the outside.
    Scotch tape is about 12cm normally most FMCG packaging comes with glue flaps bigger than that so if you wonder a little there will be none on the inside of the pack and there can't be any on the outside because you've glued from the other side. :)

    As for other types of gluing we have never really needed to use anything else. It just takes a bit of practice to roll a straight line.

    Hope this helps.

  5. #4
    Member todesign is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 30 Times in 18 Posts
    Yea It's only part of my job, A few of us are trained in making up packaging anything from flow wraps and gusset bags to Easter egg box's. I've worked with many types of substrate.

    Yea, it's a very niche market what our company did, there's a quite a few other companies that do what we did only few I can think of at the moment. :-

    http://www.dagwood.co.uk/

    http://www.finish-creative.com/

    I also ran a Zund cutting system, that was my main job, along with a whole list of other things. See we would print the concept designs as well we would handle the whole process. Some times customers would come in to press pass colours to check the colour they picked looked the same on different material etc... and then perhaps alter the ink mix if it was too warm say on some metalized chocolate bar wrapper material.

    Sadly the company went into liquidation before Christmas, and I've had to get another job. Still doing the same thing but with a whole load of finishing as well :(

    Confectionery companies has always been my favourite work. Chocolate bar wrappers and new chocolates. We would make them up with a heat sealer or a pulse sealer. We also did some stuff for the Olympic games. I've worked with many FMCG giants. When the new company starts to put stuff on the website I'll let you know.

    What shapes the box? crash lock base can be made up and sent out flat also

    Envelope base box :-











    Quote Originally Posted by eyedreamer View Post
    Thank you for the in-depth answer.

    I'm currently testing few locking mechanism concepts, however the structure of the packaging is quite tricky and must be 100% sure that the lock mechanism won't fall apart during transport.

    The surface area that needs to be glued at the moment is around 4x4cm (on 4 places), so they need to be precise.

    I've never met a mockup artist before. Sounds like an interesting job. Is there any website whee I can see the work of your company?
    Last edited by todesign; 01-16-2014 at 01:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 84
    Last Post: 12-14-2015, 08:38 PM
  2. Packaging Design vs Package Design vs Arrk for Packaging
    By fuzegraphics in forum Packaging Technology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2013, 08:14 PM
  3. Packaging in .eps "Book 2 - Special Packaging"
    By pabajarmapas in forum Packaging Technology
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-28-2013, 07:48 AM
  4. Prinergy Connect Packaging & Esko Packaging
    By Kanishk in forum Requests
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-26-2013, 08:38 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts