+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best way to learn about packing design

Junior Member idrocas is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Thumbs up Best way to learn about packing design

Hello
    I'm a begginer in the packing design so I like to know if somebody here can recommend some books or readings to learn about

Thank you very much

2. The Following User Says Thank You to idrocas For This Useful Post:

Banned jocke is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Check out Packaging Design, written by Klimchuk and Krasovec -- a nice and simple beginner's book. Should also grab a copy of Packaging and Design Templates written by Herriott. The second book comes with a CD filled with templates, so you could just grab one of those and start making whatever.

Trial and error is the best way to learn packaging design, in my experience at least.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jocke For This Useful Post:

Junior Member idrocas is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Thumbs up Thanks!

I really appreciate all your information

Thank you very much

Have a great day

Banned jocke is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    No worries at all, dude.

It takes time getting your head around the media that is package design, but it's a good kind of headache.
    Anyway, best of luck!

Banned cvladan will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    very good:

http://www.printroot.com/forum/f12/50-trade-secrets-great-design-packaging-packaging-brand-pdf-9039/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cvladan For This Useful Post:

Junior Member MSquaredDesigns is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Trial and error is how I got my start. I worked my way up from the pressroom all the way to the office. I can attribute a major aid to my learning process was the simplicity of a program called Cimex. Although now, I definitely would rather design using Artios, Cimex isn't too bad of a 2nd option. It doesn't have nearly as many features as Artios has but it does have some pretty sweet and easy things to help you out. an example is the 'build a box' section where you can build a box from scratch and pick and choose things such as what style bottom you want and how you would like the top to close. It's a good beginners program. Cimex also has a free trial download so you can use it in it's entirety but it will not let you save your work/files. It has a 6 line minimum or something like that.

As for a book to help you learn the process? I don't know of one off hand as I learned the good old trial and error way. University of Michigan is the only Univ in the USA with a packaging design program. I bet if you checked out some of the classes in that degree, you could find some good books/learning resources.

Once you start designing, I recommend "The Packaging Designers Book of Patterns". It has a lot of good, solid designs and information and I often use it for reference when I get stuck on something or am unsatisfied with where I am at.

Let me know if you need any other tips!

Mike..

Banned yiguxing3333 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Exclamation where can i download deskpack 12.1.3.

Can anyone tell me´╝îwhere can i download deskpack 12.1.3.

Banned stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold stradivarious is a splendid one to behold
    Thanks
    This is great, but just wait for someone to share.

http://www.printroot.com/forum/f29/%5Brequest%5D-pepin-press-50454/

Member jacunda will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    User group meetings are a great way to pickup helpful information. There is an annual Artios users group meeting that is packed with courses, demos, and hands on training. There is a cost associated with attending but it's well worth it.

Banned Unsu is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I personally learned through trial and error. I still have a lot to learn about heavily custom work, but to get your foot in the door and see your design end up on a store shelf is your first step - and I didn't find many resources to help (much before learning of this forum).

I found some competition's dieline and pdf files and used the layouts as guides, their color management settings, and applied all the illustrator techniques learned along the way for most PRINT work.

Hell, I didn't even know the world of Pantones initially - check out those resources above

14. Your ad here

Junior Member Erin is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Unsu View Post
    I personally learned through trial and error. I still have a lot to learn about heavily custom work, but to get your foot in the door and see your design end up on a store shelf is your first step - and I didn't find many resources to help (much before learning of this forum).

I found some competition's dieline and pdf files and used the layouts as guides, their color management settings, and applied all the illustrator techniques learned along the way for most PRINT work.

Hell, I didn't even know the world of Pantones initially - check out those resources above
    I haven't had to do much package design, but I've ended up with some of my designs on store shelves with NO IDEA what I was doing to setup the files correctly, working with small companies, local printers, etc. It's actually kind of crazy to me that it's worked out, packaging seems so much more complicated than any of the other design things I've had to teach myself so far. So I still obviously have too much to still learn, but yeah, totally possible to "get your foot in the door" by trial/error & learning as you go.

Junior Member noahlenox is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Very useful

http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=packaging&term_meta%5B%5D=packaging%7Ctyped

Banned Skatexius is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I liked Package Design Workbook by Depuis and Silva, it's more in a form of a "bible" as to say.
    I would also recommend a book called Folding Techniques for Designers: From Sheet to Form by Paul Jackson. It might not be strictly about packaging but it does come in handy cause it covers different folding techniques and how the paper goes from 2d to 3d form. It also comes with a cd :)

Junior Member dbupzz is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    one more thing: don't try to make just nice or beautiful design. beauty is not the aim. the purpose of design is to make people buy? but not to just look at your package< say it is cute and pass on by.

Junior Member baggio is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Any new links to the books mentioned in the thread?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast