+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What is your thoughts about a forum like Printroot?

Junior Member ofarner is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I see it the same way. In addition, it's a great way to discover fonts you weren't aware of.

And if you think about it, agencies and graphic designers actually act as resellers of the type foundries, and this for free!

Quote Originally Posted by SoSo76 View Post
    It's a good way to test the font in real. After that, if the project become real, it's important to buy the font because type designer is a very hard work and it takes many hours to have a good type.

PRC Member spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all
    Thanks

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by ofarner View Post
    I see it the same way. In addition, it's a great way to discover fonts you weren't aware of.

And if you think about it, agencies and graphic designers actually act as resellers of the type foundries, and this for free!
    if this is really true, every car driver is a reseller of the car industry!

Thanks
    Poor thinking, you might want to try again ;)

In most cases I have experienced, the client requires the font(s) for further inhouse and media work, hence has to buy them. Especially true if you work in the corporate identity field.

Quote Originally Posted by spider View Post
    if this is really true, every car driver is a reseller of the car industry!

PRC Member spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all spider is a name known to all
    Thanks
    Poor thinking, you might want to try again ;)

In most cases I have experienced, the client requires the font(s) for further inhouse and media work, hence has to buy them. Especially true if you work in the corporate identity field.
    even more poor thinking!

in how many cases is the client continuing the work of the design bureau?

most designers are doing the complete job for web and print design and dont offer layout files to their customers to protect their intellectual property and make sure to get sequential jobs.

and in very big companies the designers are employees of the company so the font license is owned by the company and not by a freelancing designer!

Thanks
    This might have been partially true in the good old times, but even then more exception than norm. Client is king and not a fool.

So let's look at the font business today in regards to typical design jobs for medium to larger clients:

A) Corporate identity development
    Designer selects and applies fonts for logo and corporate typography. Client usually purchases selected fonts for further inhouse publications and Web site usage.

B) Media publication and packaging design
    Either the fonts are already defined by the client's CI, or designer selects and applies the fonts. In the latter case, client may or may not purchase the fonts.

C) Web design
    Either the fonts are already defined by the client's CI, or designer selects and applies the fonts. In the latter case, client usually has to purchase selected fonts.

D) Advertising
    Usually the fonts are already defined by the client's CI, or designer selects and applies the fonts. In the latter case, client may or may not purchase the fonts, but usually not.

Quote Originally Posted by spider View Post
    even more poor thinking!

in how many cases is the client continuing the work of the design bureau?

most designers are doing the complete job for web and print design and dont offer layout files to their customers to protect their intellectual property and make sure to get sequential jobs.

and in very big companies the designers are employees of the company so the font license is owned by the company and not by a freelancing designer!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ofarner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    And a last comment:

Shared fonts also get much more visibility, i.e. free advertising, which ultimately leads to more sales. Else most designers/publishers would simply continue to use the standard'n'old OS/Adobe/Linotype/Berthold fonts, and 90% of the other great font offerings would largely go unnoticed.

Thanks
    This might have been partially true in the good old times, but even then more exception than norm. Client is king and not a fool.

So let's look at the font business today in regards to typical design jobs for medium to larger clients:

A) Corporate identity development
    Designer selects and applies fonts for logo and corporate typography. Client usually purchases selected fonts for further inhouse publications and Web site usage.

B) Media publication and packaging design
    Either the fonts are already defined by the client's CI, or designer selects and applies the fonts. In the latter case, client may or may not purchase the fonts.

C) Web design
    Either the fonts are already defined by the client's CI, or designer selects and applies the fonts. In the latter case, client usually has to purchase selected fonts.

D) Advertising
    Usually the fonts are already defined by the client's CI, or designer selects and applies the fonts. In the latter case, client may or may not purchase the fonts, but usually not.
    absolutely bullshit!!!

ever heard of full media service?

all the media handling + design (regardless of output media) is done by ONE agency!
    this reduces costs for the final client and you have only one person to deal with!

and the media agency uses the same font license for several customers at once!

Junior Member Lee.Thompson is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    unfortunately I have to say, most companies are actually too cheap to buy fonts anyway. It sound ridiculous considering the prices of fonts today, but thats my experience.

Look, even one of the most expansive movies to be ever produced (Avatar) used a font included with Windows: Papyrus

Junior Member omalamo is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    As others said, there is a great demand to test before buying, and the higher-hierarchy industry hasn't really understood/wants to know that.

It is hard to spread your work for free. This is a sign of fear, where the ego (nothing wrong with this) wants to control everything.

I also believe software resources must be priced with honesty. I wouldn't really mind buying some fonts for personal use if they were cheaper.

As for the forum, it's really nice to have a place where you can find these goodies. However, it seems that these resources could be better organized. Maybe a forum isn't the best interface for this. Maybe a private tracker would be better.

Junior Member onemangang will become famous soon enough onemangang will become famous soon enough
    Thanks

Webfonts

Quote Originally Posted by Lee.Thompson View Post
    unfortunately I have to say, most companies are actually too cheap to buy fonts anyway. It sound ridiculous considering the prices of fonts today, but thats my experience.
    I agree with Lee, but I think @fontface is helping to change that, at least for websites. Using system fonts for sites looks increasingly tired with all the options, and saving out every header as an image rather than using a class is (at least I think) going extinct. Companies have to buy the fonts they use on their sites.

12. Your ad here

hmd
    Junior Member hmd is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Piracy is the consequence of overpriced software

Do you agree?

hmd
    Junior Member hmd is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

It's simple...

When doing business with pirated software you're exposing to risks. The risk of getting caught and losing all your clients is high. Anyway, I guess software should be tested before buy. There are many companies that provide a trial before buy. If I'm making profit with a software then I'm going to buy the license. There are many companies out there that have overpriced software but there are others like SAI (http://thinksai.com) who took a good turn in doing business and supporting small companies. They should be respected for that. Who wouldn't pay 50 bucks a month for a great quality software?! If you can't afford 50 bucks per month then you're doing business the wrong way...

Normal Member luisku is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I thinks this kind of forums are really useful, im normally working on some small budget projects that would cost so much more if i have to pay for all the types, sometimes i use some of these fonts in fanzines or other small run of xeroxed publications. I also think that if all the foundrys are aware of the existence of a forum like this they could lower a little bit the prices of types and maybe more people could be on the possibilities of buying directly from them. Anyway just my thoughts!

Junior Member Snivellius will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Personally, I'm a student and I just can't afford that many fonts. And if I'm doing a paid project, once it's signed off and all I'll buy it, rest assured. But if I'm not making money off it I don't see why I can't have the fonts, play with them, etc.

In fact, having the fonts allow me to consider using them in a paid project, and thus being able to buy them. But if I can't even use it to make the proposal in the first place... it's a lost sale.

Just my two cents

Banned uuuacyee is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Font testing

Now Adobe CC doesn't support the plugin anymore that allowed to try fonts and use them before buying (THAT was a good plugin).
    You have to go through a typetester that doesn't support non-web fonts.
    So I think foundries should give a way to tray fonts in a real working enviroment

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast