+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What is your thoughts about a forum like Printroot?

Junior Member CaptainMojo is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    As a student from a third world country practicing design. I think forums like Printroot is very important. I use it mostly for font sources to be used on my projects and sometimes I download a few e-books here. I don't have much money to spend on expensive font families, hell even my software for editing are obviously pirated.

Banned Arkolorde is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    +1 to CaptainMojo.

Font families are very expensive. This forum is just a lil' paradise for us, font lovers.

Member sim888 is just really nice sim888 is just really nice sim888 is just really nice sim888 is just really nice sim888 is just really nice
    Thanks
    Like some others have already mentioned, its great to give 'real' options for clients to sign off - especially for script/display/headline typefaces that are unique, before dropping $'s for certain fonts.

Banned globalpuffer will become famous soon enough globalpuffer will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    File sharing like this is important for students and people starting up. Once you become an established business, shelling out hundreds of bucks for a font is no big deal. If you are getting a contract by owning it, but until then what can you do? I hope that the developers that this costs them nothing in the long run and actually helps them. I mean who are you gonna use when you finally make it big? You will use the ones you are familiar and comfortable with. If I made fonts - I would sell them - but I would not prosecute file sharers either. :)

Member granmah will become famous soon enough granmah will become famous soon enough
    Thanks

I love this place

I love this place and as a designer a father of 2 children with limit resources, it gives the opportunity to access to a lot of resources. But if a get a client, get paid and use a resource, I try to buy as much as I can

Peace

Member grakkle is a splendid one to behold grakkle is a splendid one to behold grakkle is a splendid one to behold grakkle is a splendid one to behold grakkle is a splendid one to behold grakkle is a splendid one to behold grakkle is a splendid one to behold
    Thanks
    I think there's a simple rule. If any use of the materials you find here generates money for you, then some of that money has to go to the people whose work you used (by buying the font, software, etc.), and you need to price your work accordingly. If there's money involved, then the people who spent many, many hours designing these fonts deserve a slice of that. If there's no money involved then there's nothing to distribute.

Junior Member ccwmmige has a spectacular aura about ccwmmige has a spectacular aura about
    Thanks
    I'd always buy a font for license purposes if I were using it for something beyond a student or personal project, just to cover my bum. Also my comfort level on sourcing fonts from these forums depends on the foundry... I'm not as keen to pay for something on Typekit versus something made by an indie designer. And as others have said, I might pay $20 for a small family but not for one weight.

Junior Member jsavage is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Love this forum. A breath of fresh air.

Junior Member Mars is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    To be honest, I have only found here things that are impossible to find anywhere else.
    And with impossible, I mean IMPOSSIBLE. This forum is a blessing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

PRC Member johnlongthomas is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    A lot of the talk here is about fonts. For me there is a bigger picture:

If Toyota tried to tell you you could only use Toyota petrol in their vehicles you would never buy one feeling that you are being abused and taken for a fool. If you did you might very quickly make an adjustment to the vehicle so that you could buy fuel from the supplier of your choice.

In the printing industry most of the equipment makers try to make their customers be vendors for their consumables. Epson inks can cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars a litre, same goes for HP, Roland, etc etc. Yet most of these inks can be bought as good for less than $100 per litre. The equipment makers deliberately slow down innovation with their chips and dongles, trying to tie down their customers and limit their options.

There is a lot of talk about research and development and how much this costs and how investments need to be recouped. But we do not hear anything about how very much of this research and development capital is deliberately aimed at shifting profit from the printer to the equipment manufacturer.

I say do unto others as you would be done by, or as they are trying to do to you.

If you use a chip so that you can free yourself to use the best ink for yourself you are not committing a crime of any kind. If the law says any different then it is the law that is a problem.

If software is reasonably priced and works well one should buy it. If it is outrageously expensive and full of limitations, caveats, bugs and inefficient routines the situation is less clear.

It is no secret that it is considered smart corporate behaviour to get clever and screw customers by abusing copyrights and patents.

Copyrights and patents are monopolies granted by the state in circumstances that are meant to benefit all parties. We clearly see that in the real world those who benefit abuse the protections granted them. It might be very christian to turn the other cheek when slapped in the face, but not all people are built that way.

12. Your ad here

Banned NassimO is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Man you can't compare a car with fonts...

Banned webfaster is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Hello,

forum is good what about a mobile access from iPhone or iPad ?

Thanks

Banned tacobalboa is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

My thoughts on PrintRoot

I think downloading from this site is stealing. However, I think it is okay for personal use. As soon as the individual profits from work using the stolen fonts, they should pay for them. A font rental service would be incredible. $5-10 a month to use an unlimited font with font management built in would be incredible.

Member Signsup is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    There is no place else like it. Gotta love it!

Normal Member SoSo76 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks
    It's a good way to test the font in real. After that, if the project become real, it's important to buy the font because type designer is a very hard work and it takes many hours to have a good type.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast