+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your thoughts about a forum like Printroot?

Banned eend17 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I think the problem is that there are too much beautiful typefaces. You can't buy them all.

Banned rancor is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pdfmasterful View Post
    It's stealing, plain and simple. No matter how you dress it up or try and justify it, you are stealing something that you should pay for.

Some designs these fonts and makes a living from it, they have a mortgage and a wife and children, you are basically stealing from them.

There's no excuse now either, especially with fonts. You can even borrow fonts now, you don't have to buy them outright.

http://skyfonts.com/

Life ain't fair right, the simple world you live in and its history was made that way. At least by stealing im also helping others, guess what even Wim Crouwel once said, swiss fonts werent sold here or were too expensive so we used to buy mags and papercut all of the characters and copy them, thats an example.

Junior Member PCT66 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I think the font foundries are missing a trick here. If they set up some sort of way that professional designers could use their fonts for free, for mockups and examples etc. they would actually make a lot of money.
    They would be guaranteed payment for their font if the design work sold. The way it is now they are losing a lot business because designers cannot afford to risk a payment on a font for work that might not sell, so the designer either doesn't risk buying from the foundry or uses a site like this to get the font he wants.

Banned ernie is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I'll download fonts when presenting ideas to a client, but once a design gets signed off, I will always strive to pay for the fonts used on final versions.

It's just not feasible to buy the 10-20 variations for each project.

Banned krs18 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

fonts

it´s great because you can download fonts, test them and show it the customor...
    and if it´s ok, buy it at myfonts.

Junior Member Etcetera is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    While I agree that licenses should be paid to foundries if you're making money, I believe this is a great resource when you're still a student and need a variety of fonts/vector art for your mockups and projects. I'll use demo font whenever they're available, and download here when they are not. Hey, broke students need to choose between food/homework :p

Banned ablitz is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Lately I've been paying for what I really want and really going to use, especially fonts, I know how much work some people put into a proper typeface

actions on the other hands, I really would like to test it 1st before I purchase, some of them are lets say.. not the best.

On the other hand, I do think there should be some sort of system to help support students, not sure how to make it fair, but yeh...

Banned cvladan will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    You all are right. It is stealing and a good font should be bought to honor its designer.

But on thing I did not get so far:

E.g. aalish said, that he/she wasn't able to buy them all. Actually you do not even have to, when you work as a professional. You can load your client with the bill...
    So I think thats just a stupid excuse.

What would you do if a lawyer of a type foundry asks for a valid license and your client knows a shit about that. You will be busted. You have to inform your client and make the costs of type licensing clear and transparent.

Junior Member aalish is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cvladan View Post
    You all are right. It is stealing and a good font should be bought to honor its designer.

But on thing I did not get so far:

E.g. aalish said, that he/she wasn't able to buy them all. Actually you do not even have to, when you work as a professional. You can load your client with the bill...
    So I think thats just a stupid excuse.

What would you do if a lawyer of a type foundry asks for a valid license and your client knows a shit about that. You will be busted. You have to inform your client and make the costs of type licensing clear and transparent.
    When I make a sale, of course I bill the client or I buy the fonts myself with the commercial license.
    but when I first started, I was using FREE fonts and images that are allowed for COMMERCIAL use for my finished products that are for sale, believe me they are many and they are beautifully made.
    I was mostly using images from public domain and Im creating lot of shabby and rustic themed graphics. That's sells since it is a trend and I am able to grow to be able to purchase those fonts that I like, little by little.
    You think I use every single font I find here? I try them out and see which one fits to my style of graphics and I make the purchase.
    My point was that people who need to make start, or for people who do this as hobby, printroot.com will not hurt that much font designers or their pockets. A professional who makes a good living out of graphic design should be able to make enough money to cover necessary expenses, such as fonts. It is an investment.

don't jump to such harsh judgment that easily without knowing very well the people you are quoting....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aalish View Post
    don't jump to such harsh judgment that easily without knowing very well the people you are quoting....
    Sorry! my comment should not be personally. Thats why I started with eg. (exempli gratia / for example) :) Again: Sorry! sould not be an attack, just to make that clear!

All I wanted to say is:
    When you are a professional designer, you wont use ripped fonts or graphics to sell that to any client. that is not professional. (in general, didnt mean you ;) )

11. Your ad here

Junior Member aalish is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    All I wanted to say is:
    When you are a professional designer, you wont use ripped fonts or graphics to sell that to any client. that is not professional. (in general, didnt mean you ;) )[/QUOTE]

no problem, no hard feelings I might have should explain what I meant "for free" little better to my original post :)
    well shouldn't a professional who makes sales buy the fonts? the more I see my business growing the more I open myself to purchases.
    now if some people make money and still don't buy them, that's rare and ridiculsy cheap!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aalish View Post
    now if some people make money and still don't buy them, that's rare and ridiculsy cheap!
    now thats the point :)

Banned JacJack is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eend17 View Post
    I think the problem is that there are too much beautiful typefaces. You can't buy them all.
    this is the principal reason. we don't have enough cash to do

Junior Member Saleron is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Im my opinion, this type of forum are not only good for testing some ideas, fonts etc, but also to meet other designers and share a little bit of yourself, giving the opportunity cross references, personalities, during our working process.

Banned AronTMM is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I think affordability is key - if i can buy a font for $5-10 then that's brilliant... but its hard to justify spending hundreds of dollars on a font family to a client! Especially if the client has come from another agency and just expects us to have "their" font.

Music and Movie industry is having to adapt - so should the font creators in my opinion. (And most are getting there).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast