+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your thoughts about a forum like Printroot?

Banned Tarmac is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

What is your thoughts about a forum like Printroot?

I personally use the forum and the resources to test design solutions when trying out things.

I am a strong believer that font designers are hard working people who have to be paid for the hundreds of hours they spend on drawing and programming.
    As i am primarily using the fonts section my thought goes in that direction.
    More Type foundries are offering demo versions of theri fonts - that is great. But the majority doesn't and that is when printroot is a great forum. If i do sketching for a client and they end up using that design - and the typeface, i buy - or demand my client to buy a font license from the vendor.

In that way everybody win. The type designer sell a license to a happy client. He og she get paid and can continue making great fonts… and i can continue making great designs with great fonts… etc.

What is your thoughts?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tarmac For This Useful Post:

Junior Member creep125 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    it is important to try and test fonts before buying a license. you made a good point. also, most of the stuff I do is for free thou I dont earn money for fonts, wich - i think - should also be free. I dont want to make profit, creativity ain't profitable. but licensing stops me from being creative cause i can't try all the stuff i want to. so, there need to be a alternative community who shares all the stuff!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to creep125 For This Useful Post:

Junior Member type will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by creep125 View Post
    ...also, most of the stuff I do is for free thou I dont earn money for fonts, wich - i think - should also be free. .... creativity ain't profitable. but licensing stops me from being creative cause i can't try all the stuff i want to. so, there need to be a alternative community who shares all the stuff!
    If I am using a font to make money, then I buy the font to get the license. If I am only using it for personal use, then I do not.

I agree that you can not put a value on creativity but you CAN put a value on the end result. It cost money to live in this world. unless you don't mind being a vagabond. You have to pay rent, utilities, buy food, etc and you need money for that. Getting paid is not a sin.
    Please do not share my download links. Upload to your favorite hosting site and share your own links.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by creep125 View Post
    it is important to try and test fonts before buying a license. you made a good point. also, most of the stuff I do is for free thou I dont earn money for fonts, wich - i think - should also be free. I dont want to make profit, creativity ain't profitable. but licensing stops me from being creative cause i can't try all the stuff i want to. so, there need to be a alternative community who shares all the stuff!
    Even though i understand, and somehow agree in the point, i do not think you can put it taht way. I mean, if you want to give your girlfriend a gift - let's say a gold ring - it does not justify stealing it, just because you do not want to sell it to your girlfriend.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tarmac For This Useful Post:

Junior Member creep125 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    anyhow, everything is a product of a process. and no one is inventing the wheel anew. comparing a gold-ring with a font isnt the same. you have only 1 gold-ring to sell, and you have to make a new one after giving it away. a font is a digital product which can be copied thousand, millions, ... times. and i am not stealing it from anyone, because no one posses it. ofc we need to earn money to live, even me has to pay rent, food, health insurance, ... but nonetheless i wish it wouldnt be necessary. wouldnt it be nice to get my needs fulfilled without being in the need to beg (means working for money) for it?

Member lanie1971 is a splendid one to behold lanie1971 is a splendid one to behold lanie1971 is a splendid one to behold lanie1971 is a splendid one to behold lanie1971 is a splendid one to behold lanie1971 is a splendid one to behold lanie1971 is a splendid one to behold
    Thanks
    I test drive a car before I buy it, same with a font. Font's, unlike cars, are not returnable. I do think that font designers work hard, and should be compensated for their work. I just wish some of them would come down on their prices.
    I really want Incognito.. http://marketplace.veer.com/font/Incognito-Pro-FOT0000074?skeywords=incognito%20pro&stermids=1000 27718

but $250 is a bit much!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lanie1971 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lanie1971 View Post
    I test drive a car before I buy it, same with a font. Font's, unlike cars, are not returnable. I do think that font designers work hard, and should be compensated for their work. I just wish some of them would come down on their prices.
    I really want Incognito.. http://marketplace.veer.com/font/Incognito-Pro-FOT0000074?skeywords=incognito%20pro&stermids=1000 27718

but $250 is a bit much!
    In fact Myfonts.com is having some really great promotions. When new fonts are released they quite often go with 70-90% off - i think it is a good way for the designer to kickstart sales (the App Store ideology - mass sales at low prices)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tarmac For This Useful Post:

Banned el_panda is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarmac View Post
    If i do sketching for a client and they end up using that design - and the typeface, i buy - or demand my client to buy a font license from the vendor.
    That can be a bit risky. Design something really nice with carefully selected typography, then ask the client to pay for the license, and they might reply with 'Oh let's just replace them with Papyrus and Arial'

But joking aside, that's exactly what I do myself. I mostly work with websites though, so often the fonts will be available through font subscription services. So I will use the fonts acquired from Printroot/similar places for layout work, and then the font will be served through Typekit.

Come to think of it, is Typekit (and similar services) for type designers what Spotify is for musicians? Do they get royalties for each use of their font?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to el_panda For This Useful Post:

Banned MadonnaPuttana is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lanie1971 View Post

but $250 is a bit much!
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MadonnaPuttana For This Useful Post:

Banned peterpan2013 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    The Fonts are amazing, i can say that in these few days, some fonts save me for some works. Thank you so much

18. Your ad here

Banned kool27 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Useful Forum

I use the forum mostly for fonts!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by el_panda View Post
    That can be a bit risky. Design something really nice with carefully selected typography, then ask the client to pay for the license, and they might reply with 'Oh let's just replace them with Papyrus and Arial'

But joking aside, that's exactly what I do myself. I mostly work with websites though, so often the fonts will be available through font subscription services. So I will use the fonts acquired from Printroot/similar places for layout work, and then the font will be served through Typekit.

Come to think of it, is Typekit (and similar services) for type designers what Spotify is for musicians? Do they get royalties for each use of their font?

Yeah, i get your point - but i put that in the contract before i start. Stating that the design process fee is not including any licensing.

Junior Member Atami is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    To be honest, I think that sites like myfonts is more designed for publishing houses and businesses and the like, hence the price. For average joes like us, Printroot is pretty good for meeting our personal needs, no matter how small or large it is.

Banned natebuddy21 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I am starting as a graphic designer. I cannot afford a helvatica(600$) so I download it, because I was never going to buy it anyway. But I also think that font makerrs work hard to make those great fonts, and I am planning to stop downloading and start buying once I will be able to call myself a professional

Junior Member aalish is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I will be completely honest.
    I just started designing for profit, it is about 10 months, I sell my graphics and I have made some good sales that looks like a very promising future.

When I started I was using everything I could for free, from styles to fonts to everything.
    The reason that I did that was because I couldn't afford at all to buy the materials I needed.
    I was jobless living with my mother....it was either money for the super market or graphics, I hope you get the picture!

When I saw that things are getting serious with some sales and people liked my work I started buying graphics I couldn't make myself.
    I also donate to various artists that I have used their work.

I have my eye at some fonts I purposely didn't download from here that im planning buying because they are very low price right now.

Downpoint: To create a fully professional environment for designing I need 5-6K for fonts only...let alone other materials.....
    I don't have that kind of money...
    but I have the dignity when I make some money to make purchases, donate etc...

There is a lot of work at everything from people out there who deserve their money!
    Like Desire font, the guy put 7000 hours!!!!

What I think about a forum like this?
    It is God Blessed forum! the same I think for torrents.
    Is it "ethical"?
    yes, it is, it gives the chance to people like me who doesn't have the money upfront to create something, to make something.
    It comes to an ideology, give me the tools and I will be able to make something with it.
    Would someone abuse it? im sure people will abuse such resources and never pay.
    But from my experience dealing with customers NOT A SINGLE PERSON try to avoid payment!
    I have made custom orders for dozens of people before payment and non of them try to avoid payment.

There are many wonderful people out there and those who will abuse such forum are a very small minority.

On the other hand, there are people who don't create for profit and just want to have fun but they cannot afford materials.
    My opinion on this? don't stop creativity because lack of money. If someone is the kid of Bill Gates and comes here to download stuff, then that's sad, but someone who wants to make something using the recourses here, uploading his/her work to devianart, blogs etc... actually makes free advertisement.
    I really don't think it will "hurt" financially anyone because the person wouldn't buy it from the beginning.

The same I hear for torrents, that musicians are loosing money. Yeah, because Beiber sings such masterpieces that the poor guy should be showered in billions....
    It brakes my heart to see the Mozarts of today having such a hard time!
    I think I stop listening to todays music since Anastasia.

when the music industry will have some serious artists people buy their work, like I did and I have a huge collection of the best singers/groups in the 70s, 80s, 90s....I only bought a couple of cds from the 00s
    (notice I stop at the 90s, there is a reason for that...)
    Last edited by aalish; 01-05-2014 at 07:22 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast