+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WHAT is the Proper Way to Hide Links?

Banned Curious has a spectacular aura about Curious has a spectacular aura about
    Thanks

Question WHAT is the Proper Way to Hide Links?

I want my download file links to be hidden from unregistered users and from search-engine spiders before my links become totally "public" and famous (and invite unwarranted attention and copyright issues).

Please help, so I can continue to provide files without my links becoming inactive or taken down.

Thank you.

Junior Member n2gr8 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I have the same problem.

I used the [Hide] tool but it does not seem to work.

Member okra is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Maybe your files are more universal than actually related to this site specifically? Are your files generally intended for numerous sites or just here?. If they are just for here (printing software, profiles, cutting apps etc) why would you be concerned that they would be taken down straight away? I cant see that happening unless you use free hosting accounts that are only valid for 30 days andthis generally only happens when a member posts to say 30 different sites! In other words, if your posts are directly related to this site and use reliable file hosts, you should have no worries!

Banned Curious has a spectacular aura about Curious has a spectacular aura about
    Thanks

Question Please Elaborate What you mean by "DIRECTLY RELATED TO THIS SITE"

Of course, my links are directly related to printing or publishing. So far, I provide links to high-demand commercial fonts, which I also have in my collection, which are also hosted elsewhere. And I also have my own private hosts for all of them as back-ups. But all hosting companies have their own Terms of Service. And the moment the ever-industrious assistants of these software/font creators find out that there's a free copy of what they are selling elsewhere, they really exert FULL effort to take down that competing freebie link or lodge a complaint with my host to take it down. And that's what I'm trying to avoid. Try typing this keyword for example: "Lust by Positype Alternative" in Google and you would find Printroot or my Ge.tt link in the first page. That's how fabulous (notorious...err...famous) we are with Google.
    Last edited by Curious; 03-27-2013 at 09:42 AM.

Member okra is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I fully agree with your statement,... there is nothing more maddening than putting in the hard work only to have it taken down maybe just hours later. I was actually referring to some posts not being directly related to this site..that section has a higher thread content than the print section.... you have no doubt yourself already seen quite a few around here already?. Im not having a go in any way, (which is what I think you think Im doing by writing in a size 5 hahaha.) i was just trying to determine whether your files are relevant thats all.
    My only other thought on the matter would be that you earn from these files... nothing wrong with rthat at all, its just getting harder to keep files alive longer nowadays.

Banned Dirac is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I would just put an underscore before the http:// —eg.: _http://myfonts.com
    That way you can right-click and go to that link or copy and paste it.

Thanks

The Hide tool

Quote Originally Posted by n2gr8 View Post
    I have the same problem.

I used the [Hide] tool but it does not seem to work.

I use this
    Code:
    Only the registered members can see the download links/content. please Register to gain full access.
    It hides the link from people who are non-members or people with posts less than 1.
    Last edited by Curious; 06-09-2013 at 12:39 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Curious For This Useful Post:

Member FontChick has a spectacular aura about FontChick has a spectacular aura about
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious View Post
    I use this
    Code:
    Only the registered members can see the download links/content. please Register to gain full access.
    It hides the link from people who are non-members or people with posts less than 1.
    Perfect - Thank you!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FontChick For This Useful Post:

Banned CitM will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    ok i totally understand the hiding thing but when i try to share something i cant post!!!!! not even start a thread and sometimes i have those things being requested

Thanks

But you just posted now.

Which forum section did you try to post in?

13. Your ad here

+ Reply to Thread