+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: On the subject of post count restrictions...

Member mykillingbox will become famous soon enough
    Thanks

On the subject of post count restrictions...

Seems like every has a problem with this particular issue. And it also a major contributing factor to the spamming/flooding in the forum. As I've said before, we can't do any thing about it because it is entirely up to the member who posted, especially if it's a font that's quite rare. Instead of moaning and groaning about how high the restrictions are, just think. Be more active in the forum. Participate in the discussions. Post meaningful replies - don't just post "I agree" or "Thanks" (that's what the "Thanks" button is for). Post your suggestions on how to make the forum more member-friendly. That's what I've been doing in the forum so far.

On the other hand, I know that any of us can't get too far with just participating in the discussions especially when some of the discussions are in the Printing Resource part of the forum where only some of us can post to. To share my experience with another font sharing site, I've struggled to participate in it because mainly it's in another language. Same as we can't post in the Printing Resource area, that was also a restriction for me. I was reprimanded when I posted "Thanks!" in every thread I downloaded from and was told to just use the "Thanks" button. It still boiled down to: how the heck can I participate?

Making a well-structured forum is the answer. I've asked around how can I better participate, I said that I have fonts and ebooks to share but I don't know where to post them as I'm having a hard time navigating in the site. I was pointed to the right thread where I could share them; it answered my post count restrictions dilemma. Unfortunately, the same can't be d here in PR because most of us can't post in that part of the forum where all the goodies are unless we donate. Another problem I'm seeing is the lack of moderation in the forum so far; the moderation is quite lax.

What the forum needs is an overhaul. A major overhaul. But in the meantime, all we can do as members are be responsible. If it's wrong then don't do it - don't spam and don't flood, as simple as that. For the moderators, be more active and more visible in the forum.

Just my cents.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mykillingbox For This Useful Post:

Member tinytoes has a spectacular aura about tinytoes has a spectacular aura about
    Thanks

My thoughts on the fonts posting issue

I think for people like me who don't have a lot to share, should never demand from the people who share their purchased fonts. If we have to go through 500+ pages to look for fonts that we need, then we should. Because we are already getting them for FREE. I like to stress that out, FREE. Why should we demand that they make their posts easier for us to find or get? It's already FREE, that's all there is to it.

Is it really that important we get the fonts right away? If that is the case then I think we should just purchase the font ourselves. We go to this forum because fonts are FREE. We should all be happy about that and never demand for more.

When we abuse this forum, people who share will stop sharing and leave.

About post titles masked in symbols and letters, I think it's because this site is very visible in Google searches. Non-members can read everything. I know, that is how I came across this site in the first place.

About post count restrictions, I have nothing against it. Like mykillingbox said, it's the sharer's prerogative. We're already getting a lot for free. It's like we're still asking the font sharers to wrap them as gifts and hand-deliver them to us.

If we think it's impossible to reach a certain number of posts, there's no harm in trying to PM the sharer. You'd be surprised how friendly they are. JUST ASK NICELY. No need to ruin other people's mood by posting spam or complaining. Just try and ask nicely.

For the stubborn people who don't use the SEARCH, it's a bit annoying but I think some of them don't understand english very well.

I think what people are trying to say is that there's a bunch of leechers around here. Returning the favor does not only mean we have to buy fonts and trade. There's lots of people asking for help on many issues. We can help with that. Or if we're too selfish and greedy to do that, then I think let's just shut up and stop complaining.

These problems in post count restrictions and spam posting is because there's just too many leechers and no admin.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tinytoes For This Useful Post:

Member wordnerd has much to be proud of wordnerd has much to be proud of wordnerd has much to be proud of wordnerd has much to be proud of wordnerd has much to be proud of wordnerd has much to be proud of wordnerd has much to be proud of wordnerd has much to be proud of
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tinytoes View Post
    About post titles masked in symbols and letters, I think it's because this site is very visible in Google searches. Non-members can read everything.
    I used to hang out at a forum where very few people were careful with what they shared, and the admin finally had to forbid people from sharing commercial fonts because he got threatened with legal action.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wordnerd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wordnerd View Post
    I used to hang out at a forum where very few people were careful with what they shared, and the admin finally had to forbid people from sharing commercial fonts because he got threatened with legal action.
    is it letterhead fonts by any chance? anyway, yep the forum gets more hits by the minute. i forgot what search string i used when i searched in google but a PR link came up at #3.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mykillingbox For This Useful Post:

Member tinytoes has a spectacular aura about tinytoes has a spectacular aura about
    Thanks
    "emily lime font share" in google is what lead me here. I remember it was the 4th or 5th result.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tinytoes For This Useful Post:

Banned Uroburo is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    i really love this forum, thank you guys

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Uroburo For This Useful Post:

Member wordnerd has much to be proud of wordnerd has much to be proud of wordnerd has much to be proud of wordnerd has much to be proud of wordnerd has much to be proud of wordnerd has much to be proud of wordnerd has much to be proud of wordnerd has much to be proud of
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mykillingbox View Post
    is it letterhead fonts by any chance? anyway, yep the forum gets more hits by the minute. i forgot what search string i used when i searched in google but a PR link came up at #3.
    I'm not sure who it was exactly—think it may have been o-n-e of the biggies (Linotype or Monotype, maybe)? Folks still share there, by the way, but you have to phrase your request as "I'm looking for a free font similar to ____." Then if some-o-n-e has what you want, they PM you.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to wordnerd For This Useful Post:

Banned weisze will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    I'm not sure who it was exactly—think it may have been o-n-e of the biggies (Linotype or Monotype, maybe)? Folks still share there, by the way, but you have to phrase your request as "I'm looking for a free font similar to ____." Then if some-o-n-e has what you want, they PM you.
    Was it fonts101? There was a forum purge a while back ... heh
    Last edited by weisze; 10-18-2014 at 12:31 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by weisze View Post
    Was it ****101? There was a forum purge a while back ... heh
    I believe some posted a message here about LHF being litigation-happy that's why I thought it was them.

Ooooh so that's why the members ask like that! *lol* Yep, I used to be active in that forum from way back as well. I've shared quite a bit over there but I the files have expiration dates.

Hmmm... well then the mods should really do a forum revamp. Clean everything up and start anew with new post guidelines to protect both the forum and the members as soon as possible before any gets sued. >.>

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mykillingbox For This Useful Post:

Banned weisze will become famous soon enough
    Thanks
    I believe some posted a message here about LHF being litigation-happy that's why I thought it was them.

Ooooh so that's why the members ask like that! *lol* Yep, I used to be active in that forum from way back as well. I've shared quite a bit over there but I the files have expiration dates.

Hmmm... well then the mods should really do a forum revamp. Clean everything up and start anew with new post guidelines to protect both the forum and the members as soon as possible before any gets sued. >.>
    I think I read about LHF here too.

Separate forums for requests and shares might be a better idea though I wonder how many moderators would be necessary to enforce this ...
    Last edited by weisze; 10-18-2014 at 12:31 AM.

19. Your ad here

Thanks
    Yeah, L_H_F is definitely sue-happy. The owner has been going after folks at various forums for a decade or more.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to wordnerd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I just thought of this idea: There are some forums that require you to click on the "Thanks" button before it shows the dl link. Maybe we could have that if some members still continue to take fonts and not give thanks.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to mykillingbox For This Useful Post:

Banned homestar runner is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    I don't know much about vBulletin but is there a way to limit the amount of posts someone can make per day for the first month or so? Perhaps 2 or 3? This would be a nice way to "ease" new members into to forum, eliminate floods and ensure we acquire quality members.

Seems like every has a problem with this particular issue. And it also a major contributing factor to the spamming/flooding in the forum. As I've said before, we can't do any thing about it because it is entirely up to the member who posted, especially if it's a font that's quite rare. Instead of moaning and groaning about how high the restrictions are, just think. Be more active in the forum. Participate in the discussions. Post meaningful replies - don't just post "I agree" or "Thanks" (that's what the "Thanks" button is for). Post your suggestions on how to make the forum more member-friendly. That's what I've been doing in the forum so far.

On the other hand, I know that any of us can't get too far with just participating in the discussions especially when some of the discussions are in the Printing Resource part of the forum where only some of us can post to. To share my experience with another font sharing site, I've struggled to participate in it because mainly it's in another language. Same as we can't post in the Printing Resource area, that was also a restriction for me. I was reprimanded when I posted "Thanks!" in every thread I downloaded from and was told to just use the "Thanks" button. It still boiled down to: how the heck can I participate?

Making a well-structured forum is the answer. I've asked around how can I better participate, I said that I have fonts and ebooks to share but I don't know where to post them as I'm having a hard time navigating in the site. I was pointed to the right thread where I could share them; it answered my post count restrictions dilemma. Unfortunately, the same can't be d here in PR because most of us can't post in that part of the forum where all the goodies are unless we donate. Another problem I'm seeing is the lack of moderation in the forum so far; the moderation is quite lax.

What the forum needs is an overhaul. A major overhaul. But in the meantime, all we can do as members are be responsible. If it's wrong then don't do it - don't spam and don't flood, as simple as that. For the moderators, be more active and more visible in the forum.

Just my cents.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to homestar runner For This Useful Post:

sqd
    Junior Member sqd is on a distinguished road
    Thanks
    Well one of the problems is that not all posts add towards your number of posts - like for example, posts made in the off-topic area doesn't seem to add. Not for me anyway. I try to post something meaningful, but if they don't count, wouldn't that make a lot of people post in other areas just to get their number up?

ink
    Junior Member ink will become famous soon enough
    Thanks

Issue about TITLE requirements

Quote Originally Posted by tinytoes View Post
    About post titles masked in symbols and letters, I think it's because this site is very visible in Google searches.
    That's the same issue I have with the rules in the FONT section. The admin there does not seem to understand that we are endangering the entire site by making the post title of the font as accurate as may be possible by indicating the name of the font and even the publisher's name in the title. Google loves it so much that we are on the top 5 of page 1 of the results--inviting the ire of the font owner and publisher as well, and endangering the links to those files wherever they may be.

The tags below the post would be more helpful for the internal search, but the last thing we need is to invite the font owners themselves here from Google.

Surely, the admin understands that. With accuracy comes the price of being vulnerable and obvious to copyright litigators. The naming requirements are so neat for archival, so neat that it qualifies outright as a DMCA violation...something we should ALL worry about because it could be the death of the entire site. Which is why I propose that proper naming be done only on the tags of the post and not on the titles themselves, to only make the font visible to the internal search index and not to Google itself.
    Last edited by ink; 11-29-2013 at 09:29 AM.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ink For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast